Computer Help forum

General discussion

Panicware Pop-Up Stopper not doing its job???

by Ralph V / March 12, 2004 2:53 AM PST

I have Pop-Up Stopper Professional by Panicware on my system. It does a great job of keeping popups from showing on my screen BUT I have recently been hit three times by infected popups. The ads in question never appeared on my screen but they still had time somehow to do their dirty work. Is this to be expected even when a popup doesn't "show"? Is my Panicware doing all it can do or do I now need to look for another popup stopper that will take care of this?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Panicware Pop-Up Stopper not doing its job???
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Panicware Pop-Up Stopper not doing its job???
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re:Panicware Pop-Up Stopper not doing its job??? It's adware.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 12, 2004 3:19 AM PST
Collapse -
Re:Panicware Pop-Up Stopper not doing its job???
by Yew / March 12, 2004 4:25 AM PST

Do yourself a favor and download a copy of Mozilla ( http://www.mozilla.org ) or Firefox. I don't even remember the last time I got a popup window using their built-in blocker. And the cookie manager is quite nice, being able to disable some of the more annoying features of JavaScript's a nice touch, and it's not plagued by security problems every week.

There's no real good reason to use IE for anything besides Windows Update.

Collapse -
Re:Panicware Pop-Up Stopper not doing its job???
by Cursorcowboy / March 13, 2004 11:27 PM PST

Perspective -- just about every virus, trogon, or worms performs a certain degree of harm and it just depends on the severity of it whether you should correct it now or it's something you can live with:

1. You have an irritating squeak in your car. It's undesirable but something you can't fix and the experts -- who went to school, spent lots of money doing so and has no common horse sense, at the dealer want an arm and a leg. A Shade-tree mechanic -- who has no formal education and knows everything about anything that didn't cost a penny, can fix it for a little of nothing but you get no guarantee.

2. You have something knocking in the engine and just know it's going to fall out. You don't thing a Shade-tree mechanic can fix it reliably with warranty so you have no choice but to take it to the experts and pay dearly for it because they have the resources and training.

3. You're simply not going to find a happy medium where a single utility has been written that combine the scenario between a Dealer and a Shade-tree mechanic which combines all things together in one -- too complicated for one and isn't important enough for the other, unless you're extremely lucky. This is why you're going to find different strokes for different . . .

4. And for your reading pleasure, "What are parasites?"

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?