General discussion

Panda Pro, MSE or Trend Micro Anti-Virus + Anti-Spyware?

I have a copy of Panda Pro and Trend Micro Anti-Virus + Anti-Spyware. I was wondering if I should use one of those, if so which one, or use Microsoft security Essentials.

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Panda Pro, MSE or Trend Micro Anti-Virus + Anti-Spyware?
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Panda Pro, MSE or Trend Micro Anti-Virus + Anti-Spyware?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Just 1 In-expert Man's Opinion

For some reason I've long forgot, I've never been really comfortable trusting Panda.
I would likely prefer Trend Micro over Panda or say McAfee so IF you have an already paid subscription to it I would likely choose to use it up (assuming it hasn't caused and issues w/ your machine).

MSE is surprisingly good for a free product(absorbed Giant A/V A/S, if memory serves, which was also quite good) though I've seen comments that it's not quite quick enough on some specific trojans catching 1st gen of some but not 2nd gen of same or Zero day ones. Not sure if it lacks heuristics/behavioral detecting which would lead to such conclusion. IF you didn't have a PAID one available, I'd likely suggest MSE.

Always download & save any removal tool offered by whatever A/V A/S you chose to try at same time as your main program d/load and run it before installing another program to prevent possible corrupted install of the new one.

I wouldn't count of just ONE program to catch all (they won't) so a couple of "On Demand" scanners (free) or say Spyware Blaster/Spyware Guard by Javacool wouldn't hurt & update/run several times per week for peace of mind.

Sadly you didn't include info on OS/SP/Browsers used etc. so take above w/ salt re: compatibility to you & your system. Good Luck! Happy

- Collapse -
Panda Pro, MSE or Trend Micro Anti-Virus + Anti-Spyware?

I run Windows 7 64-bit and use Google Chrome (unless of course Google Chrome wont work or something)

- Collapse -
Today Was Posted Comparitive Results

for several A/V/Protection Suites by A-V Test. Org. I always take these w/ some salt BUT
in latest quarter, they rate Panda above Trend-Micro tho both "passed" in THIS test.
Noting that Both McAfee & MSE got a "failed" rating. For whatever weight you want to give it: http://www.av-test.org/certifications.php Good luck! Happy

- Collapse -
It's like asking for free vs paid :)

MSE is free and it provides what TM can provide except blocking of malicious links in email or instant messenger.

MSE don't block malicious links in email but will only scan downloaded e-mail attachments for malware.

Panda Pro offers what MSE and TM can offer in addition to USB vaccination but such is offered as free security update by Microsoft by disabling Auto-play function in removable drives/Windows.

So it depends what you need: Free protection vs Paid security with extra protection.

All of the above products provide behavior-based detection (aka heuristic) except the free edition of Panda Cloud AV.

CNET Forums

Forum Info