Video Cameras forum

General discussion

Panasonic & Vista problems

by yeeman / January 28, 2009 10:10 AM PST

From what I read, this seems to be a common problem: My new Vaio laptop ( Vista business ) cannot detect my Panasonic miniDV camera ( 10 years old ) thru the firewire. I hear the same horror stories with much newer cameras.There doesn't seem to be any updated drivers available. Some person mentioned XP drivers for Vista ? So far, it seems hopeless & I either buy a new camera or settle to do my video work on an older XP computer.Phone support to Sony & Panasonic is a joke & total waste of time.What can I do ?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Panasonic & Vista problems
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Panasonic & Vista problems
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Just one last shot.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 28, 2009 10:34 AM PST

1. The camera and cable work on XP.
2. Not the new PC.
3. Try WINDV (see google)

-> At this point what's to tell us the new machine's firewire port is not blown?

I can't see why I would call Panasonic on this one. It's a Sony issue so bring it down to something simple. Have them show you any firewire camcorder working on your new laptop.
Bob

Collapse -
Panasonic & Vista problem
by yeeman / January 28, 2009 10:45 AM PST
In reply to: Just one last shot.

I was at the Sony store today & they quickly used one of their cameras & MY firewire...it seemed OK....of course, the battery in their camera only had about 30 secs.of power left so I couldn't even see Windows Movie Maker display the video. Panasonic told me Sony should have software for an Ieee1394 card....Sony had no idea what that was about...another dead end. I'm holding out as long as I can until I get a solution....maybe I won't.
I tried to check out that WinDV site....I'm still not sure what that was.

Collapse -
WinDV is...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 28, 2009 11:41 AM PST

A small program I use. I can't count on Windows Movie Maker. It has failed me too many times and if you insist on that working, we can't call Sony or Panasonic.
Bob

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!