Question

panasonic vhs/dvd player not recognizing

I have a DMR:EA38V dvd recorder that will not recognize dvds anymore. I use high quality DVD's and recorded about a month ago. But now it doesn't recognize dvd nor VHS. Simply says it does not recognize. I tried burned DVDs and commercial movie dvds and even a VHS tape but nothing is recognized. Time for a new one?

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: panasonic vhs/dvd player not recognizing
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: panasonic vhs/dvd player not recognizing
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Answer
(NT) Did you try lens and head cleaners?
- Collapse -
answer

No, I've never done that, isn't it odd that both VHS and DVD would be dirty since I rarely use VHS? Does cleaning involve taking the machine apart? Don't know where the lens is?

My first reply and not sure why post area requires a new title?

- Collapse -
Did you want to discuss the forum software?

Back when I had VHS it was a special tape I slipped in. About once a year.

You seem reluctant to try a common thing. Beats replacements.
Bob

- Collapse -
lens

I usually do fix things up, know about the VHS tape, that was easy of course. but the idea of cleaning a lens never occurred to me, I'll go to youtube and see if they have anything. Just not sure cleaning the lens, but will find out.

- Collapse -
About CD/DVD lens cleaners. Do not use on Blu Ray.

The lens to media height changed on BR/BD players so you know not to toss the common lens cleaner into a BD drive. I have the CD/DVD one in my kit and since about 1 in 20 drives spring back to life with its use we always try it on a cranky CD/DVD drive.
Bob

- Collapse -
almost

I opened my dvd/vhs recorder after watching a Youtube video that explains it all. All was going well until the last screw and it was not going to turn. I tried every head I had and no luck, went to OSH hardware and bought a precise screw and still no luck. This screw is never going to move and my efforts basically bent it, not that it mattered. I might take it to someone but probably cost as much as a recorder.

- Collapse -
Your hardware, your choice.

I never have to open any of these systems. Why? Too costly. It incurs the 120 buck shop charge. The CD/DVD cleaner is so fast that we can ding them 20 bucks and send them on their way.

If I encounter a stuck screw we have ways from filing a new slot for the flat head screwdriver to drilling it out and using a proper sized sheet metal screw to replace it.

Old school mechanics?
Bob

- Collapse -
good

You're resourceful... I'm inspired, I will get that screw out! Trouble is it's a tiny screw but let's see. Thanks.

- Collapse -
no can do

I cannot get the last screw out, its too thin for a file, it's a really tiny screw and stuck in there. Good try anyways.

- Collapse -
Then power tool time.

We drill it out. Again, sheet metal screw may be the answer for its replacement.

In the repair world, you pick up all these ideas...
bob

- Collapse -
no tools

Looks like I'll never break that screw, it's pin-head size and not going anywhere. Looks like new combo deck... at least they're cheaper then when I bought this one.

CNET Forums