HolidayBuyer's Guide

Cameras forum

General discussion

Panasonic TZ3S or Canon 850IS...help me decide!

by travelrella / January 27, 2008 7:36 AM PST

I've done a lot of research on cameras, including going to the store and testing a bunch out. Right now, I have narrowed it down to two choices (it would have been three, but the one I also liked was too expensive - Canon 870IS). What do you think about the Panasonic Lumix TZ3S verse the Canon Powershot 850IS?

I'm leaning towards the Panasonic because of the 10x optical zoom and large LCD screen. The Canon has 4x optical zoom/4x digital zoom. Both have the image stabilization and red-eye feature I wanted. I know that Canon is a popular and reliable choice so that's why I'm torn. Thanks for your help!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Panasonic TZ3S or Canon 850IS...help me decide!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Panasonic TZ3S or Canon 850IS...help me decide!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Which
by snapshot2 Forum moderator / January 27, 2008 8:20 AM PST

The Panasonic TZ3 and Canon SD870IS both have a wide angle lens and a 3 inch LCD.

So it would seem that the SD850IS is not really what you are looking for.

The only other camera that is similar to the Panasonic TZ3 is the just announced Sony H10. It has a 3 inch LCD X10 zoom but not a wide angle lens. It is not in stores yet.

The Panasonic TZ3 has been getting good reports from owners.

I noticed that you mentioned 4X "digital" zoom on one cameras.
It is recommended that you never use digital zoom, as it degrades the image.
Only use optical zoom.

Collapse -
Thanks
by travelrella / January 27, 2008 9:18 AM PST
In reply to: Which

Thanks for the tip about the digital zoom. I tested a lot of nice cameras (a lot of Sonys), but they were only 3x optical zoom. I automatically eliminated them from my list because of that. The 4x optical zoom isn't much better. My budget is $250 and under so that's why I decided against the Canon 870IS. That would have been the front runner if it was in my budget.

Collapse -
well
by kalel33-20416052469708587370302374692233 / January 27, 2008 9:55 AM PST
In reply to: Which

That's the give and take of having an ultra-compact...great portability but you will only be able to have a 3x zoom. Also the two cameras you said are not wide when considering that you have to take the lens and multiply it by 1.6 due to not being a full frame sensor.

Collapse -
Well.not really.
by snapshot2 Forum moderator / January 27, 2008 10:02 AM PST
In reply to: well

The cameras mentioned are all non-DSLR cameras.

Your input about the 1.6 multiplier only applies to some Canon DSLR cameras.

Collapse -
my bad
by kalel33-20416052469708587370302374692233 / January 27, 2008 12:54 PM PST
In reply to: Well.not really.

You're right on that. The Canon says 4.6-17.3mm (28-105mm equiv). I was just stating that there is a difference from what the lens states and what the camera actually produces.

Collapse -
until
by woodygg / January 28, 2008 11:07 AM PST

panasonic greatly improves their image quality (very noisy images, watercolor effects, etc), stick with the canon. i've owned both...

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.