Computer Help forum

General discussion

Panasonic Toughbook Been Through War

by saladen / October 9, 2007 3:56 AM PDT

I have a Panasonic Toughbook CF-50 next to me that was used through part of the Iraq War and it's been sitting for the past three years here at home and I was wondering what would cause it to not start up. Nothing happens when you hit the power button. I've tried resetting the power management unit but it didn't help at all. Im pretty sure the battery is done for however even with the power cord it still wont work. Nny ideas? Please help!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Panasonic Toughbook Been Through War
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Panasonic Toughbook Been Through War
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Sometimes
by Jimmy Greystone / October 9, 2007 4:02 AM PDT

Sometimes when the battery dies, it takes the entire thing with it. Had a case with a laptop once, a Dell, where the battery was pretty well dead and was making it so the laptop wouldn't start up at all, with or without the battery.

Of course if it's been unused for several years, that too can take a toll on things. If it's 3+ years old, and non-functional, it might just be time to break down and get a new laptop. Getting it fixed is likely to cost a good chunk of what a new one would cost.

Collapse -
more computer problems....
by saladen / October 9, 2007 4:24 AM PDT
In reply to: Sometimes

I'm going to start college soon and my laptop, a mac book pro, is included with tuition so I don't need to buy a new laptop right now, I start school in about a month. Would buying a new battery allow the computer to work again?

I've also got a Gateway Solo 2550 (i believe) and there was a password on the BIOS. I tried to install a wireless driver and the password on the BIOS has made it impossible for the computer to boot up into windows 2000. I tried installing a few versions of linux like DSL and Xubuntu but both times the computer just tells me it has a kernel panic. I have tried all backdoor bios passwords and nothing has worked. I have also tried pulling the chip out and that also didn't work. Any ideas? Please help because I really need one of these computers to work for the next month so I can finish all my college scholarship information and college paperwork!

I also have a dell latitude c600. Its battery died and has not been able to start back up. That same day the computer also crashed a couple times. The power jack is also a little loose, it seems disconnected. Any ideas for this computer?

Any help is appreciated!

Collapse -
Ebay
by Jimmy Greystone / October 9, 2007 6:51 AM PDT

If you don't need the system, it's not working correctly, and you don't know how to fix it... Put it on ebay. There are loads of people looking for either replacement parts, or some laptop they can make a few inexpensive repairs to to get working.

Just get yourself an external enclosure that can handle laptop drives, pull any important data off of them, and then format the drives using one of those military grade erasing programs.

A Linux kernel panic usually means there's some kind of hardware failure, so all the more reason to sell that one on ebay. Just list it as non-functioning, sold as-is, so anyone who buys it will (hopefully) know exactly what they're buying.

Beyond that, I'd just wait a month until you get your shiny new Mac Book Pro. Sell the rest, use the money for textbooks or something. If you're extremely lucky, you might get enough for all the laptops to cover your books for the first semester. Much better than having to pay back an interest bearing loan. Take it from someone who's been there, anything you can do to keep your college loans down will be well worth it after you graduate. Just don't take out another loan to pay for your student loan, and be very careful about credit cards, because you will be almost literally assaulted with offers on a near daily basis. A little extra advice, free of charge. Happy

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.