TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

Panasonic TH42PZ85U Help

by jgoetzel / February 2, 2009 7:41 AM PST

I bought the above tv several monthes ago, and I have to be honest, I am somewhat disappointed in the picture. I have adjusted the settings to what I think seems best, but it still seems to leaves me with wondering whether I bought the right tv. My buddy has a similar priced Vizio which I think looks better than my tv.

I am having my TV professionally callibrated next week- but can someone reassure me on my purchase? Will this callibration make a huge difference?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Panasonic TH42PZ85U Help
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Panasonic TH42PZ85U Help
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
That depends
by gabereyes / February 2, 2009 10:27 AM PST

What do you not like about the picture?

The TV you bought is one of the top models for picture quality, and a vizio should not look better.

Collapse -
what sources have you viewed w/ the Panny?
by Pepe7 / February 2, 2009 1:55 PM PST

Blue ray, Comcast CATV, Dish, ? And how is everything connected? Is the TV in a brightly lit (w/ daylight) room? Inquiring minds... Wink

cheers,
Pedro

Collapse -
Hooked to...
by jgoetzel / February 2, 2009 8:24 PM PST

I have it hooked up to Time Warner cable w/ HDMI cables, and a Panasonic BD 35 player. Shades don't seem bright enough, sometimes a little foggy. Colors aren't quite realistic.

I currently have it set on cinema, using some settings I found on line. The more I mess with it, the worse it gets. I am hoping this callibration is worth all my money, and than some. I just don't believe the Vizio really can have a better picture (I was pretty impressed with it). The one difference might be that the Direct TV guy who did the install at my buddies changed a bunch of colors for him.

Collapse -
hmmm
by Pepe7 / February 3, 2009 12:36 AM PST
In reply to: Hooked to...

It doesn't sound like it's the CATV box that can be blamed (my first thought), but the fact that you still have poor results with even BD is strange. Do you have access to the same HDTV in a store near your house that you could use for comparison? Keep in mind that what you see on flat panels in the showrooms is often known as 'torch mode', so the display is going to typically look a lot brighter than a plasma would in your home out of the box. That's where a proper professional calibration might come in handy. There are a lot of Panny owners with your model who contribute @ AVSforum. I'd use some of their input on the settings you might want to try beyond what you've done already. Also, are you feeding both video sources through an A/V receiver or directly to the plasma(?)

FWIW, a professionally calibrated Vizio can actually look outstanding, contrary to what opinions you might read elsewhere on the internet. Believe it or not under the hood there are actually a few Panasonic parts <gasp!> running some of the Vizios. I've never owned one, so I can't comment on their reliability. My friend who repairs various electronic devices let me in on the secret that inside sometimes the panels aren't so different as you might believe.
A calibration can in some cases make a real difference.

-Pedro

Collapse -
calibration
by jostenmeat / February 3, 2009 4:13 AM PST
In reply to: Hooked to...

yes, you'll be impressed. However, I'd try an Avia ii or DVE disc first. You can even rent them. Not on the level of a pro cal, but a lot cheaper.

I doubt your tv can hold multiple settings per source, where you could have separate settings for both day and night viewing. if you optimize for night, it'll look washed out during the day. if you optimize for the day, it'll look too bright at night.

also realize that there is always variation from unit to unit, and someone else's settings are not always best for you. then again, you have to consider amount of light in play, and even the color of your walls!

I use a projector, and I have to calibrate every 200 hrs or so.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?