Video Cameras forum

General discussion

Panasonic sdr-H60?

by renee88 / August 8, 2008 6:07 AM PDT

I have been reading through reviews and forums, and I have narrowed it down to this camcorder. However, in looking at the specs on the Panasonic website, I have a few concerns.

1. There is no lens cover (should this be a major concern?)

2. There are no jacks to connect it to my TV for viewing. In fact, there is only a USB jack.

3. I have read that the software is very difficult, and people have had to buy a third-party software just to get it onto their computer. Is that true? My plan is to back it up onto DVDs -- how difficult is their software to get the video off of the camera and onto the DVD? According to the website: "when using a DVD Burner (VW-BN1), data from SD Memory Card can be copied to a 12-cm DVD Disc." My concern is whether this can be done from the hard drive on the camera, IN ADDITION TO tne SD Memory Card.

Any opinions about this would be wonderful -- plus, if there is something negative that I have not caught, please let me know! Thanks!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Panasonic sdr-H60?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Panasonic sdr-H60?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Since you say you have done your research, I won't
by boya84 / August 8, 2008 9:16 AM PDT
In reply to: Panasonic sdr-H60?

say anything about your selection... but the other points you made:

According to the camcorder manual:
http://www2.panasonic.com/consumer-electronics/support/Cameras-Camcorders/Camcorders/Hard-Disk-Drive/SD-Camcorders/model.SDR-H60

Lens cover: It is built-in - Refer to page 14.

Refer to page 9. These accessories are in the box. There is an AV cable. This is a composite - analog - set of connectors that has a yellow RCA jack for video, and red (right) and white (left) audio RCA jacks that would connect to many TVs made in the last few years. Also, see page 16 for the location of the AV jack on the camcorder - item 26. Page 72 illustrates the connectivity between camcorder and TV.

Whether the software is difficult or easy to use is up to the person using it. I have every confidence that the folks who can use it are not going to post to proclaim that they can - but the folks having problems will post all their problems with the software. Since this is a hard disc drive (HDD) based camcorder, I don't expect it to be much different from any other HDD camcorder... there may be some drivers needed to get the camcorder to be recognized by the computer - it is merely a USB device, but there needs to be a way to tell the difference between the hard drive and the memory card when using USB.

Page 73 describes the HDD and SD card coying to DVD... and what is supposed to be possible. Page 75 has a little more detail. If you don't delete the video from the camcorder, there is nothing that says you cannot connect the camcorder to a PC. Once the video is in the PC and the video editing application you select can get to it, then edit and save the file that the DVD menuing application likes... then use the DVD menuing app (like WinDVD) and burn the DVD - of course, this presumes your computer has a DVD burner...

Notes: As with all HDD based camcorders, vibration can cause the HDD heads to park and not allow recording. Please refer to page 25 of the manual. On the same page, note that there is an altitude limitation (9,800 feet). These are not specific to this camcorder - and are HDD camcorder issue - neither miniDV tape nor flash memory camcorders have these issues.

Since we don't know what you think you will be capturing to video or what computer you are planning for editing, it is difficult to provide any more detail.

Collapse -
Thanks...
by renee88 / August 8, 2008 4:39 PM PDT

THanks for the response. I've read posts elsewhere that said that the pc doesn't detect the camera as an external device when plugging it into the USB, which is why I am concerned. Panasonic wants to sell their external DVD burner.

This is for travel and home movies. I have no plans to record at a rock concert or up in the mountains, so I don't think vibration will be a problem.

It sounds like you don't like my choice. Is there one that is better (in the same price range without using tapes)? I already have a Sony DCR-HC40 from a few years ago. I'm looking to upgrade away from the tapes. Plus, mine is too heavy (I have major wrist problems).

Collapse -
I said I would not say anything about
by boya84 / August 8, 2008 11:59 PM PDT
In reply to: Thanks...

your selection - and I will keep it to that as much as I can...

MiniDV tape continues to provide best available video quality due to least amount of compression applied to the digital video stream. So if you *think* you are "upgrading" to a hard drive based camcorder, you aren't. This is not to say hard drive (or flash memory, they generally use the same digital video compression methods) are bad - they are good - just not as good as miniDV tape.

If you have already "read posts elsewhere that said that the pc doesn't detect the camera as an external device when plugging it into the USB", is there a reason you think you may be somehow immune from the same problems?

Also, I *think* (though I could be wrong), that Panasonic hard drive camcorders also use the .MOD format, so may want to read up here:
http://forums.cnet.com/5208-4_102-0.html?forumID=59&threadID=145687&messageID=1630841&tag=forums06;forum-threads

These may help, too:

http://forums.cnet.com/5238-7813-0.html?kw=h40&select=forum&forumID=&threadID=&messageType=1&tag=srchbr

http://forums.cnet.com/5238-7813-0.html?kw=h60&select=forum&forumID=&threadID=&messageType=1&tag=srchbr

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!