Attention: The forums are currently placed on Read Only.

Thank you for visiting the CNET forums. Our site is currently undergoing some maintenance. During this period (6:30 AM to 8 PM PDT,) you can read the forums content, however posting in the forum will not be available. We apologize for this inconvenience. Click here to read details

TVs & Home Theaters forum

Resolved Question

Panasonic S60 PQ

by goro1230 / August 1, 2014 8:42 AM PDT

hey guys,
I'm wondering how much PQ am I loosing with the S60 compering to ST60 in a dark room. and how is it compering to the Samsung F5500/5300.
Thank you all for your help!

goro1230 has chosen the best answer to their question. View answer
Discussion is locked

All Answers

Best Answer chosen by goro1230

Collapse -
That's another plasma.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 1, 2014 8:47 AM PDT
In reply to: Panasonic S60 PQ
Collapse -
I Just don't like LED
by goro1230 / August 1, 2014 10:49 AM PDT
In reply to: That's another plasma.

and the flickering is hardly noticeble on the S60. I do go by reviews, changing brands, since I don't notice it at all on Samsung plasmas. Can't say why. I just wanna know how "bad" those sets compering to the ST60.

Collapse -
One man's bad is not bad at all.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 2, 2014 1:33 AM PDT
In reply to: I Just don't like LED

In your case, you must eyeball each set.

We know to dismiss any Smart TV feature or apps. Oh, we didn't cover that did we? Smart TVs have issues from downright crappy browsers to spying on us.
Bob

Collapse -
Bob is correct
by Pepe7 / August 3, 2014 1:10 PM PDT
In reply to: I Just don't like LED

There's certainly no good way to meter it authoritatively for the next person. Understand, where I saw the S60 & ST60 are in different viewing spaces than yours, and w/ different content/hardware inputs/settings. I have no regrets buying the F5300 for a second dark viewing space, since it met all of my needs.

That said, the ST60 is the horse to beat solely for PQ. Your issue is perception of the flickering, which overshadows the PQ issue, subjective enough on its own(!)

Collapse -
right
by goro1230 / August 8, 2014 11:18 AM PDT
In reply to: Bob is correct

but it's really hard to find those sets on display next to each other those days, since it's all LED in stores. I should have looked at it last year. to late now. So, my question is how is the overall perfomance of the S60: black level, coulors and motion- since it doesn't support 1080P/24, compering to the ST60, by your own experience.

Collapse -
right
by goro1230 / August 8, 2014 11:24 AM PDT
In reply to: Bob is correct

but they both are really hard to find in stores those days. My question is: how is the S60 overall peformance in black level and motion since it doesn't support 1080p/24 compering to the ST60 by your own experience.

Collapse -
Not sure if you have done much reading yet
by Pepe7 / August 18, 2014 9:30 AM PDT
In reply to: right

Much of what is perceived is subjective. Most people don't notice the flickering issue that you do. In a dark room the F5300 was perfectly acceptable, but for some, not enough to make it worthwhile vs an ST60. For me the S60 wasn't worth $400 more PQ-wise, but it's subjective.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!