Camcorders forum

General discussion

Panasonic's pre-record function - no one is talking about it

by / October 18, 2008 11:24 AM PDT

Has anyone used the pre-record function on their SDR-S7 or SDR-H60? (It's also on some of the HDC units. ) If you turn off power save, pick SD, and allow quick start, you should, it seems, be able to sit on the beach, wait for people to shout WHALES and then push record. (A tripod would help unless you yourself want to hold the camcorder for hours, waiting. ) In fact, one of Panasonic's description overviews used this very example, except they mentioned dolphins, though I can't find it 2 days later. So has anyone tried this? For any poipose? (sorry Happy )
One apparent problem could be that the animals would not appear within the focusing area. I don't have any idea how that would work. So the ocean would be in focus, but off to the side, some blurry whales would be jumping. Any information would be greatly appreciated. I've basically limited my choices to this small set of camcorders, and since the SDR-H60 is the only one with huge zoom and reasonable price, this seems to be it. I am a total novice, btw.

I'm going to open another thread asking for updates on this seemingly intolerable problem on the May 2007 (ie old, tried & true, legacy, stable) Video Cam Suite software so many people find impossible to work with.
Thank you.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Panasonic's pre-record function - no one is talking about it
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Panasonic's pre-record function - no one is talking about it
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I think the idea is great.
by whizkid454 / October 19, 2008 5:56 AM PDT

The reasons you stated are spot on. Vacations and sports games are prime examples of the need for *instant* use. Though I believe most would just turn their camcorder on at the beginning of said events and wait until there is a need to record.

Collapse -
Actually, pre-record has a 3 second advance buffer...
by / October 19, 2008 10:35 AM PDT

The idea of pre-record, as I understand it, is that even though you have not pushed record, the rolling prior 3 seconds are buffered, waiting to be written onto the SD. (It doesn't work with HDD as output device.) So you have 3 seconds to push record and get the start of the event, ie, the whale's upward jump. Pre-record is an optional setting in the menus somewhere. And of course, you don't want powersave to be on, since that would turn off the machine entirely.

Anyone using it? Can anyone with an SDR-S7 or H60 (or the other models) try it and see if it really works? Thank yoU!

Collapse -
Re pre record...
by christy / October 20, 2008 8:18 AM PDT

....err... you that mode drain the battery while you wait for the whales or the dolphins ?

Collapse -
Well, it's best to be in a place with LOTS of whales...
by / October 20, 2008 9:10 AM PDT
In reply to: Re pre record...

and have a few extra batteries, I guess. Happy

Collapse -
Pre Record function on some Panasonic or Canon models
by jrlafr / December 28, 2009 12:44 PM PST

I am in the process of buying a camcorder. The pre record function is a must for me. Simple to explain. You are somewhere down south and your kids are in the pool threading water waiting for 3 dolphins to jump out behind them and fly over their heads as they start the show. You have pre record on and wait with the camera shooting on the required area but just on stanby. As soon as they emerge from the water, you push record and presto, the recording actually starts from 3 second before which is long enough to capture what you wanted without having to actually shoot 30 sec. or more waiting for them to emerge from the water. Neat.

Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?