HolidayBuyer's Guide

Camcorders forum

General discussion

Panasonic miniDVD VDR D50 to Mac OS10.4?

by jlstephens / September 6, 2008 2:05 PM PDT

I have done a test video (it was finalized) file on the Panasonic camcorder and want to transfer it to the Mac for editing. I have iDVD on the Mac. There was no Mac software that came with the camera although the instruction book suggested that the camera could be used with a Mac. I tried putting the mini disc into the DVD player to download and all the file list showed was a .VRO file which I could not open. I have not tried to download directly from the camera to the computer because I have read that the USB cable process will not work but maybe firewire will. It doesn't look like there is a firewire port on this camera. I could be wrong about that. Is there some way to get the data from the camera to the computer in editable form or do I need to return the camera?

If a different camera is the answer, do you have some suggestions?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Panasonic miniDVD VDR D50 to Mac OS10.4?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Panasonic miniDVD VDR D50 to Mac OS10.4?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
So what editing software do you have?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 6, 2008 11:18 PM PDT
Collapse -
And a clarification...
by boya84 / September 10, 2008 10:14 AM PDT

iDVD is an application that iss used to author DVDs - not play them back. If you want to play a DVD using MacOSX, there is an application called DVD Player that is bundled with the operating system.

I am not aware of any consumer DVD based camcorder that uses Firewire, so you are probably correct that you cannot find a DV port. The only consumer cams - of which I an aware - that use Firewire are all miniDV and Digital8 tape based camcorders and certain JVC hard drive based camcorders.

One thing to consider (if the USB connection does not work) is to download and install HandBrake http://handbrake.fr/ and rip the video to a format iMovie or FinalCut likes... .mov or .mp4 or .dv "Best quality" is preferred. Once in a "good" format, launch the video editor and drag the converted file to the clips pane or timeline of the video editor. The video may take some time to import.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.