Cameras forum

General discussion

Panasonic Lumix GF1 questions for new owner

by donnalk49 / October 5, 2010 8:46 AM PDT

My son wants to but the above camera body. He likes it as he wants to use it for taking video while snowboarding. We have a Canon EOS Rebel digital camera and am curious if it is possible to use the Canon lenses on the Pansonic. Also, do any of you have suggestions as to a mid priced fish eye lens with 8mm for the GF1??? Any thoughts on this will be so appreciated!!!

Donna

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Panasonic Lumix GF1 questions for new owner
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Panasonic Lumix GF1 questions for new owner
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
re: Panasonic Lumix GF1 questions for new owner
by MarkatNite / October 5, 2010 9:43 AM PDT

>"possible to use the Canon lenses on the Pansonic."

Yes, it's possible to use them, but:

1) you'll need to buy an aftermarket adapter. (~$30)
2) they will be manual focus only.
3) the only way for you to set aperture will be to mount the lens on the Rebel, set aperture, take the lens off the Rebel, put it on (the aforementioned adapter, and put that on) the GF1.

There's at least one company working on an electronic adapter (which will enable auto-focus and aperture control) but pricing hasn't been announced (and could be as much as $1,000, but will hopefully be half that).

>"a mid priced fish eye lens with 8mm for the GF1?"

Lens selection is a big issue for the m4/3 format right now. So you either have to shell out $800 for the Pany or deal with manual operation of a third party lens. (Oly has one that's around $100 cheaper, but don't forget to add the cost of an adapter.)

Mark

Collapse -
Panasonice GF1....
by donnalk49 / October 5, 2010 10:43 AM PDT

Do you know if the Olympus camera of this type would be a better choice for him and his fisheye related projects? Would it be easier all around if he chose the Olympus??? Any ideas?

Thanks again so much for your imiput!

Collapse -
re: Panasonice GF1....
by MarkatNite / October 5, 2010 12:03 PM PDT
In reply to: Panasonice GF1....

>"Would it be easier all around if he chose the Olympus?"

My understanding is that auto-focus on the Oly is slower than on the Pany, so no, I wouldn't think it would be easier/better for snowboarding.

Unfortunately, the only other option I can think of is the upcoming Canon 8-15mm. But:

1) it's "upcoming" (early 2011) so you'll probably miss a bunch of good snowboarding shots in the interim.

2) it'll probably cost ~$1,400 which is essentially the same as a GF1 + (Pany) 8mm lens (except that you can buy the latter now and not miss any snowboarding shots).

Sorry - Mark

Collapse -
Panasonic Lumix GF1
by donnalk49 / October 6, 2010 12:19 AM PDT
In reply to: re: Panasonice GF1....

What a problem this has become!!! Apparently, the Panasonic doesn't have image stabilization and the Olympus does......this looks to be a choice of the lesser of two evils!! Do you have a suggestion for a small video cam that can use the fish eye lens that can be hand held while he boards??? He wants to mount the camera to a contraption that he can hold with a handle type thing while he boards.....seems to me that he's going for an expensive hobby!!!

Collapse -
re: Panasonic Lumix GF1
by MarkatNite / October 6, 2010 11:33 AM PDT
In reply to: Panasonic Lumix GF1

>"Do you have a suggestion for a small video cam"

I don't, but hopefully if you post this in the camcorder forum, someone there will.

>"the Panasonic doesn't have image stabilization and the Olympus does"

Basically, yes. But technically, Pany does have IS built into some of its lenses, just not the 8mm fisheye.

Mark

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.