Cameras forum

General discussion

Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ18 vs ??????

I am seriously considering purchasing the DMC. In your opinion is there a better camera in the same class as the Panasonic? If so, what is its advantages?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ18 vs ??????
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ18 vs ??????
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
up to you, but

Why did you start a whole new thread when you could have just added on to the thread you already started?

What I need in a camera could be different than what you need. There is not a camera that fits everyone's needs/wants. Would you like someone to choose your next car based on someone else's choice? I can give you a range of good superzooms to choose from.

Fuji S9600
The panny you're looking at
Canon S5IS
Olympus SP-570
Sony H50

Each of them have their positives and negatives. Some features you might find relevant and some not so much. The Panny doesn't have a hotshoe so that would be a deal breaker if I only had one camera.....but that's me. To you it might be different.

Collapse -
just to add

In reply to: up to you, but

If you point out the features you want, what you plan on shooting, and expectations in different situations(low light, good light, sports, etc.) then that would be more helpful. Do you want a articulating LCD, RAW, fastest shutter lag, fastest shot to shot, best image quality in good light, etc.

Collapse -
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ18 vs ??????

In reply to: just to add

I have been reading all kinds of reviews from different sources and a lot of them point to the DMC as one of the top cameras. So I thought I would ask the forum for their opinion before I made the purchase. Most of the pictures I will be taking will be of family outings, landscapes, portraits, indoors and outdoors. I really want a camera that takes sharp images both zoom and closeups. I am replacing a dimage z20 5mp.

Collapse -
How much zoom?

In reply to: Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ18 vs ??????

How much do you really need? The panny has more zoom which is one reason I bought one. The trade off is no zoom in movie mode. It only captures 20+ min of video and I don't think the movie quality is as good as the cannon. Plus the cannon has video in stereo.

I'm happy with the 18 I just had to give a little to get a little. Pictures are good in decent lighting. I think noise is to bad past 200 for a good quality photo. One thing I really like for me it is very simple camera to use. I am still learning but by design it is easier for me.

Rod

Collapse -
there are some compromises

In reply to: How much zoom?

The FZ18 drops in the image quality. It's not hard to figure, long focal ranges drop the image quality. It also uses too much noise reduction, which will decrease the sharpness of the photos. The higher ISOs are unusable. Indoors it has problems with focusing. It performs really well, compared to other super zooms, in good light. If you want a good indoor super zoom camera then you need to buy one with a hot shoe and add an external flash.

Even a DSLR with a large focal range lens has the same compromises, but they can go into high ISOs with much less noise. Those lens still will not produce good indoor shots, even on a DSLR.

If you accept the limits of each camera then you'll be very happy.

Collapse -
very true

In reply to: there are some compromises

I accepted the cameras limitations. I think at longer focal lengths it still meets what I expected. Low light performance is not good but that was expected. I work with shutter and f stops when conditions are not ideal.

Overall I get in a decent shot sometimes under poor conditions. I think that one has to be creative and just accept what they get. If its not good enough I delete and make a mental note to adjust my settings.

If I really wanted, with some time and money, I could get more savers with a better camera. However to me it is about learning and taking photo's with a camera closer to my budget and skill. When the time comes, I will get another camera but the FZ18 takes good, sometimes great photos within its limitations or mine.

Rod

Collapse -
didn't say it right

In reply to: very true

Sorry Rod, I was making the statement towards the original poster because he was most interested in the highest image quality. The FZ18 is a great camera, but has it's faults just like any point and shoot. I just wanted to make sure he knew before buying the camera of the weak points. It supersedes in so many areas compared to other super zooms except in full out image quality.

In the end though, the person behind the camera is going to be the factor that either limits or exploits the abilities of the camera and how good the photos look.

Collapse -
Thanks for input

thanks for the input. I didnt reallze I could modify the original post. Now I know.

Collapse -
made a purchase

I purchased the canon s5is. The final decision was based on it having external flash capability. I would like to thank all for your assistance. This is a great forum.

One last question for ya. Any recommendations on an external flash unit?

Collapse -
easy

In reply to: made a purchase

I have the Canon 420EX and the new version is the 430EX. Their coming out with an updated model of the 430 at the end of the summer, but it might not matter that much for a point and shoot. Oh, by the way I love my flash.

Collapse -
alternative to speedlite

In reply to: easy

I have been pricing the speedlite for the s5is. Some of them cost more than the camera. Is there a generic flash that is reliable and not as expensive?

Collapse -
here

In reply to: alternative to speedlite

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.