TVs & Home Theaters forum

Question

Panasonic DMR-BW835 BR Player won't play SOME MKV DVDs

by bramt / February 5, 2014 8:40 AM PST

Hi
I have a Panasonic DMR-BW835 and I want to play downloaded old movies in the MKV format which it is supposed to support but - some play and some do not play? I convert them from whatever format they are in to MKV in Wondershare Video Converter Ultimate and then burn them with Shampoo Burning studio 11. Any suggestions as to why some play and some don't?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Panasonic DMR-BW835 BR Player won't play SOME MKV DVDs
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Panasonic DMR-BW835 BR Player won't play SOME MKV DVDs
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
MKV is not an "encoding"
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 5, 2014 8:47 AM PST

Any one that makes claim that MKV is a format needs to catch up on the technology.

MKV is a container. You can put all sorts of encoded content in the MKV so you'll want to ask what encoding is supported. The answer is NOT "MKV."
Bob

Collapse -
Recording on a Panasonic DMR-BW835 BR Player
by bramt / February 5, 2014 6:11 PM PST

I AM trying to catch up on modern technology -That is why I posed the question. My Panasonic hand book tells me that I my Panasonic recognises a "Playable Content" of Xvid and MKV, nothing else which is why I am in the dark and thought I might get a bit of info on this site, not ridicule? I am 76 and don't think I am doing too bad as I use Photoshop, all parts of MS Office and many other programs too numerous to mention on a daily basis.
Seems like I need to know how to vary what I include in my MKV 'Container' as some burns will work and some not and I am trying to ascertain what I need to do to get a content I can replicate each time I burn a DVD-R?
Bramt

Collapse -
If anyone ridiculed here
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 6, 2014 12:58 AM PST

It was the makers for making big assumptions folk will understand containers and encoding.

I don't mind chatting about such things but if I go too far I'm duplicating what is covered in classrooms and the internet. Some folk get upset about that but imagine there are a million people that want answers in a million discussions and well, you get the picture.

Lots of need, few folk to chat with. And sometimes those that ask get upset about it all and flame the persons that are responding. When that happens, all lose.

OK, by now I think you get the idea that a MKV is a bucket we can fill with this or that sort of encoding and that encoding is not standardized.

Try those old movies in a Standard encoding like MPEG-2. That usually works.

In parting, one of the good tools I use is HANDBRAKE but at risk of upsetting some I don't provide tutorials as that's on the internet.
Bob

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!