TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

Panasonic Commercial Plasmas VS Full Featured Series

I am about to purchase a Panasonic and CNET has me TOTALLY confused. CNET rates the TH 42 PH9UK "Commercial Series" as an "Editors Choice" yet it costs me $1300.00 delivered. If I pay only $100.00 more I get a set model TH 42 PX60U that includes speakers and extra outputs.
Even better for only $200.00 extra.
AM I MISSING SOMETHING HERE?
It seems that if I bought the Commercial series it would eng up costing quite a bit more to even get this TV to work on a simple basis.
ANY INPUT WOULD BE APPRECIATED!!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Panasonic Commercial Plasmas VS Full Featured Series
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Panasonic Commercial Plasmas VS Full Featured Series
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Panasonic Commercial Series Ripoff

In reply to: Panasonic Commercial Plasmas VS Full Featured Series

I forgot to add that the Commeercial Series unit does not even include a stand! Thats $175.00 alone! I simply can't understand why the Commercial Sereies would be a bargain when in the end its MORE EXPENSIVE?

Collapse -
What is your situation

If you are running your sound through your home theatre, then you don't need speakers with the set. If you have cable or satellite, then you don't need a tuner with the set, and if you are going to wall mount the set, then you don't need the stand. However, if you want HDMI you do need to buy a Blade and install it.$125-$200. It depends on your own personal situation on how you want to price. Personally, if I didn't need speakers, stand or tuner I would go with Cnet. I think the commercial models look better and have a lot better tweaking capabilities, and have generally received better reviews than the consumer models.

Collapse -
TRUE

In reply to: What is your situation

If you are just beginning your home theatre setup it may hold true but even the fact that if you use cable then you must pay a monthly fee for a HD box from your local thieves at the cable company. With a built in tuner you don't pay monthly fees AND the ugly cable box stays where it belongs at the warehouse. In addition on the commercial units the choice of inputs is limited and adding them coists $100.00 apiece. As for appearance, I like the minumulist look of the black but IMHO the Flagship TH42PX600U looks far more attractive. In my situation this is a bedroom set so I need a stand and home theatre is not an issue. I run a 70 inch Sony in my living room.

Collapse -
EXCON QUESTION ABOUT YOUR 70' SONY

In reply to: TRUE

I almost bought that Sony, but when I saw it on display the picture was very dim. I uswed the remote and set contrast and brightness up almost all the way and still it was to dim I understand Sony dropped the 70" model. Well anyway I finmally bought a Toshiba 72" d.l.p. set for 1/2 the money. I have owned this set for over a year and The lamp is still holding up and picture is super bright and clear So how brite is your Sony the one I saw may have been defective. In closing I disagree with you about expensive cable or satellite service I have Dish network with the hi-def package and VOOM and the hi-def channels are awsome Discovery h-d theater alone is worth the $15.00 extra feeIf you want awsome programming then satellite service is a must please post back about your Sony thanks stewee

Collapse -
Sony

In reply to: EXCON QUESTION ABOUT YOUR 70' SONY

My Sony is just that: A SONY. I have yet to find a company that consistantly puts out such top quality products. The picture quality is supurb considering its 70 inches, and I think the reason behind discontinuing a model of this size is probably due to poor sales. After all how many people buy a 70 inch TV. I personally think its a fantastic television manufactured by a fantastic company. After 3 years the image is still as good as day 1. I have replaced a bulb that I bought on Ebay for $150.00 BTW: I bought the 600 Series Panasonic today and WARNING: FOTOCONNECTION.COM IS A SCAM COMPANY THAT BAITS AND SWITCHES. I got the plasma for $1428.00 delivered

Collapse -
SONY HAS JUST INTRODUCED A BRAND NEW 70" XBR3 BRAVIA MODEL..

In reply to: Sony

AVAILABLE in late Feb '07, running a cool $32,999.99. PANASONIC is renewing it's efforts to market their 103" TH-103PZ600U; about $65,000.00 give or take 5 grand.

Super-sized HDTVs are not going away anytime soon!!!

riverledge.

Collapse -
THE CONSUMER MODEL ALSO INCLUDES A STAND AS WELL.

river.

Collapse -
Designed to be wall mounted.

Commercial sets are designed to be use with a Pro style scaler/switcher, and as such do not have a lot of inputs or a tuner, thus a lower cost.
HDMI is for consumer use only, thus if you want HDMI it will be an add on as will a stand. In the end it may well be cheaper to get the consumer model the has all the needed inputs. John

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.