TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

Panasonic 77U/700U Burn In

by dcbowyer23 / June 14, 2007 10:50 PM PDT

I have been looking at TVs for probably 6 months now trying to determine which one I want to get and after a lot of consideration I have decided that it seems like the best one for my budget, viewing location, etc the 50" 77U from Panny is the best option.

I have two questions that maybe someone could help me out with.

1. Has anyone seen these displayed at a common retailer such as BB/CC/Tweeter/etc?? If you are in the DC area a specific location would be helpful if you have seen one of these. I would like to get a glimpse at it before spending the $2k.

2. I just read a review on the 42" 700U and CNET said they were disappointed with the burn-in technology on this model. I assume the 77U and 700U have the same technology in terms of burn-in and I was wondering if anyone had any information to add - whether they have already purchased one of these and have noticed burn-in or the burn-in is not an issue.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Panasonic 77U/700U Burn In
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Panasonic 77U/700U Burn In
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
SORRY, THIS DOES NOT ANSWER YOUR QUESTION, BUT..............
by Riverledge / June 15, 2007 1:06 PM PDT

THE TH-xxPX77U series is 1080i, while the TH-xxPZ700U is 1080p. Could this be the issue???

River.

Collapse -
Side by side
by kcfvegas / June 15, 2007 1:38 PM PDT

I saw both models in the 50" versions at both CC and Sears. With the signal that they were running through them, I didn't see much difference in the picture quality. The 700 looked a little nicer, but if they weren't next to each other, I don't think you would miss the difference at all. With a Blue Ray or HD DVD I don't know how much difference there would be, but I imagine it would be about the same. As far as burn in goes I can't comment on the Panasonics, but I do know the Samsung 5054 and the Pioneer 5070 and the new 5080 have very good anti-burn in technology built into them.

Collapse -
Panny burn-in/viewing
by dcbowyer23 / June 18, 2007 6:16 AM PDT
In reply to: Side by side

Vegas - are you located in the DC area?? I went to all of the Sears I know of in the vicinity and I never saw the 77U Panny, only the 75U. There is only minimal difference because of the anti-glare coating on the 77U, but still there is a difference. As for the burn-in I was looking at the Samsungs and I was considering one of those, but visually I think I like the Panny better

River - I think the 720p/1080p might be the reasoning behind the burn-in on the 42" 700U but wasnt sure if anyone knew for sure.

Anyone have anything else to add??

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.