TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

Panasonic 37" Plasmas: PHD8UK vd. PX50U?

by tnmcc / February 13, 2006 4:41 AM PST

I'm deciding between these two. Most reviews conclude that the industrial (PHD8UK) is better quality, but the PX50U isn't that much more expensive at Circuit City / Best Buy-- particularly with no interest financing. You also need the stand and maybe and HDMI card with the industrial. Does anyone have any personal experiences with either?

Also, I have a small living room so I'm going with the 37". Is there any reason I should be focusing on the 42"??

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Panasonic 37" Plasmas: PHD8UK vd. PX50U?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Panasonic 37" Plasmas: PHD8UK vd. PX50U?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
(NT) (NT) What is the size of your room and viewing distance?
by jcrobso / February 13, 2006 6:47 AM PST
Collapse -
VERY GOOD QUESTION.......
by Riverledge / February 13, 2006 7:47 AM PST

MY gut feeling is to buy the 42" set model. This is one case where bigger is almost always better. If you
have the space, go for it. I've seen the PANASONICs and they are very, very good. The industrial model may be less expensive, but also requires a tuner and speakers. In addition, you may have complications with the warranty, and the repair of the industrial model.

I'd certainly consider the Panasonic TH-42PX50U. At this point in time, why not wait for the next generation PX60U; due by May 1st. As a plasma alternative, I suggest the SONY Bravia 40" flat panel
LCD TV, KDL-V40XBR1; nice set.

Collapse -
My living room is 20 x 13
by tnmcc / February 13, 2006 11:03 PM PST

I live in an NYC apartment, and I don't want the TV to overwhelm the room.

Thanks for the input on the differences. I like the "look" of the 8UK, but it may be easier to get the consumer version without having to buy separate stand, HDMI card, etc.

With the 60U coming out in May, how long will it take until the 50Us start dropping in price?

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) I forgot to add that I will be viewing from about 9-10 feet.
by tnmcc / February 13, 2006 11:05 PM PST
Collapse -
I Had Exactly The Same Situation In My Den....
by Psych Doc / February 13, 2006 11:33 PM PST

...Viewing distance is about 9'. I, too was about to get the 37" and decided almost on a lark at the last minute to go with the 42". Boy, am I ever glad I did. The 42" is brilliant from 9' away.

Problem is we have all become accustomed to expect that a TV will only look good from farter away by the horrible resolutions of old fashioned 4:3 sets.

Believe me, with an HD set, the picture is so smooth and clear you can comfortably watch it from closer than half the distance you would expect to need for a conventional set and be very happy.

Go with the 42", you won't be sorry. If you get a 37", you'll be wishing you went with the 42".

Trust me.

Collapse -
14'x17' viewing distance 9', I got a 47"
by jcrobso / February 14, 2006 2:20 AM PST

My wife complaned that it was TOO BIG, but she is getting use to it, when I got the 32" 14 years ago she said that was to big also. We were watching a PBS HD tavel show and all of a sudden we had this 47" window in our living room the was over looking a beautiful mountain landscape, she hasn't compained since. John

Collapse -
LOL...
by Psych Doc / February 14, 2006 2:53 AM PST

...Same thing with me. We went from a 27" 4:3. A friend of mine and I set up the 42" Sony while my wife was at work. She came home and immediately broke into tears, saying it was too big, I had ruined "her" den, that she would never come in that room again, she hoped I was happy, that could be my room now, etc. I retrospect it was all quite funny. thankfully, my friend is a very good frien and knew my wife for years so he knew she would calm down. Later that night, we called up one of the handymen in our building to give him the old 27" Panny as we had no further use for it. he walked into the den and I turned on channel 706 (Time Warner NYC), the Discovery channel. His jaw just dropped open and he said that was unquestionably the most beautiful picture he had ever seen. My wife slowly edged into the room and within a half hour she fell in love tith the new TV. We laugh about it now some 8 months later. She does tend to be a bit of a drama queen.
LOL

Collapse -
Same Quality
by RoadRunner6 / February 13, 2006 7:32 AM PST

I don't think you will find any significant difference in the picture quality or general quality of these two sets. They are basically the same plasma for different markets.

Many consumers buy the 8UK models for reasons of looks (all black) or becuase they don't need speakers, tuners, stands (wall mounting), etc. The 8UK has a little more tweekability than the consumer model and some different bells and whistles.

The difference in size is determined by your sitting distance and not the size of the room. If you will be sitting farther than 8 feet you might want to look at the 42." Depends on your personal choice. Otherwise the 37" and 42" are the same excellent plasma from Panny.

RR6

Collapse -
options for the industrial 8UK model?
by mak99 / February 13, 2006 8:11 AM PST

...such as different modules for the inputs you need? I don't know if this would drive up the cost compared to the 50U. But I guess it would be easier to upgrade in the future for other connection options - gosh knows what would be better than HDMI...

I'm seriously considering upgrading my 34" Sony XBR (which I LOVE) to a 42" Panny, probably the 50U. From my research, the Pannys have the best blacks of all plasmas. I don't care for LCDs as they blur with motion on-screen - so forget watching sports...

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?