HolidayBuyer's Guide

TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

Panasonic 1080p problems with Directv hd dvr

by agsmith--2008 / March 31, 2010 11:58 AM PDT

Hi.
My TV is a Panasonic TH-42 PZ700U that approximately 2 years old. We just signed up for Direct TV about a week ago and it seems to be a fine service. They also broadcast in 1080p if you are connected to the internet and have a HD DVR box installed. However their 1080p service is broadcast in 1080p/24 frames per second. The Panasonic resolution is 60 frames per second, making the picture fill only 2/3 on the screen; it is missing about 8 inches on the right and 8 inches on the bottom. I talked to Panasonic today and they said to unplug the HDMI cables from both the TV and the box, kind of making the TV reboot; this would enable us to switch on the 3:2 pull-down feature which would enable us to see the full screen. After doing this and plugging back in the cables, the on/off toggle switch was grayed out to off. It seems that the Direct TV box is somehow blocking the on switch of the 3:2 feature to view HD TV in 1080p. Direct TV says that there is no button to press on their DVR box that would fix the issue. Do you know of some way to fix this?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Panasonic 1080p problems with Directv hd dvr
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Panasonic 1080p problems with Directv hd dvr
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Just my 2 bites;
by ahtoi / April 1, 2010 2:24 AM PDT

I would think this is DirecTV's problem or they will lose a 1080p customer. Try playing a BD? Look ok?

Collapse -
by agsmith--2008 / April 1, 2010 9:46 AM PDT
In reply to: Just my 2 bites;

I agree. What, a BD?

Collapse -
Not AFAIK
by Pepe7 / April 1, 2010 5:34 AM PDT

Their 1080p offerings are limited to select video on demand, not any regular programming. You should be able to go into the menu settings on the HD DVR box and tweak that setting accordingly. FWIW, the frame rate is different than the resolution or aspect ratio that you desire. IOW, the 24p/60 difference you're citing doesn't impact the way the picture fills the screen per se. Keep in mind that Directv has some slightly different hardware available, so double check that you have the right equipment. Also- are you seeing black bars on top and bottom when watching the VOD 1080p content?

Satelliteguys.us is an excellent place to work with this topic IME. DBStalk is another place worth visiting.

http://www.satelliteguys.us/forumdisplay.php?s=7e32bd7b36f87b7a4ca9d68de61398e2&f=14

Collapse -
by agsmith--2008 / April 1, 2010 11:28 AM PDT
In reply to: Not AFAIK

Hi, thank you for your help.
The HD DVR that I have is their newest HD DVR and Directv says there aren't any buttons on this HD DVR to adjust this. They only broadcast shows in 1080p/24fps. The other broadcasts are in 1080i or lower resolution look fine. But my 2 year old TV's resolution is 1080p/60fps. The black bars on my screen are not like any typical aspect ratio adjustment that you can make. I have attempted to fix this but nothing works.
About 8" from the right and bottom black; the picture has moved to the top left. It is a fine picture, but way too small. Panasonic says to use the 3:2 pulldown button to fix this, which was grayed out to the off toggle. As I understand this, it was Panasonic's and enginer's fix to adjust from film 1080p/24fps to video 1080p/29fps. They said to remove both the HDMI cables from the TV and the HD DVR to reboot it. Then I turned the 3:2 pulldown to on, then plug back in the HDMI into both the TV and the HD DVR. But after that, it grayed out again to off.
Thanks

Collapse -
No 1080p broadcast channels yet
by Pepe7 / April 1, 2010 12:25 PM PDT

Only selected VOD is actually broadcast in 1080p/24. The rest of Directv content is either 1080i or 720p, similar to some cable providers & OTA broadcasts.

You would benefit greatly from visiting the sites I mentioned and also AVS forum, which would give you a better handle on the capabilities of your current hardware (Panasonic HDTV & HD Sat box).
If there was some sort of firmware 'fix' by Panny, the folks @ AVS will surely be able to help. Post a message here-

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/forumdisplay.php?f=167

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.