Phones forum

General discussion

Palm Zire 71 vs. Tungsten E

by magellanx / January 4, 2004 11:12 AM PST

Hello,

I'm debating buying either a Palm Zire 71 or a Tungsten E, but basically can't make up my mind. I'm wondering if any of you have any feedback on which you'd buy?

I like the fact that the Zire 71 has a faster processor (but how much difference is there really between the two processors?), the camera is a little bonus (not a big deal though), also (until Jan 5th) there is a rebate for a free mp3 kit with the 71 (mem. card, card reader, and earbuds), I've also heard about less problems with the 71 (I've heard bad things about the D-pad, and battery life on the E).

However, I like that the E is $50 cheaper, has a slimmer body (I'll probably mostly keep it in a pocket), comes with more software (especially Documents to Go), has more RAM, and a longer warranty.

Does anybody have any opinions for me?

Thanks in advance,
- Joe DeAngelo

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Palm Zire 71 vs. Tungsten E
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Palm Zire 71 vs. Tungsten E
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re:Palm Zire 71 vs. Tungsten E. The "E" has no serial port.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 4, 2004 8:28 PM PST

An application I use needs the serial port. The "E" is USB only. As to the bad things you've heard, I haven't. But then we can't use a Palm without a serial port so we don't have those in the field.

Bob

Collapse -
Re:Palm Zire 71 vs. Tungsten E
by jumbiliya / January 8, 2004 11:29 PM PST

hi! got an opinion for you- i received a tungsten E for christmas; it was the best choice. a friend of mine has a zire and she tells me she wishes she would have gotten an E instead. it is more comfortable to hold and just as easy to use. she also said the earphone jack was a plus. not much info but i hope it helps!

Collapse -
Re:Palm Zire 71 vs. Tungsten E
by tjdotcom / February 20, 2004 10:30 AM PST

Ok...I have a Zire 71..and I like it. I use mine for personal and professional use (medical). It performs well and reliably. The camera is actually more useful than I thought....when my daughter called me to tell me she'd wrecked her car....I took pics of both cars..several times at work I took pics of safety violations/errors that REALLY worked well in documentation that followed. That being said the internal memory of the 71 is a problem. You've only got about 13mb internally and although I use a 256mb memory card not EVERYTHING will go on it. I use Avant-Go (mostly to d'load the NY Times, Wall Street Journal, Reuters etc), Docs to Go, and Epocrates (a VERY big prescription drug reference) so my memory is cramped to say the least.....I try to keep it above 15% of the total 13mb...but its not easy....the Tungsten E has 32 on board....so think about that

Other than that, my Zire 71 has been EXTREMELY reliable....and I'm very pleased with it.

Hope that helps

Collapse -
zire 71 accessories available for free
by missflea / August 15, 2009 1:14 AM PDT

hey mate

I lost my Palm Zire 71 at uni and it never got handed in

now the accessories are useless to me - I have everything else to go with it - all the accessories, manuals, USB cradle, sports case, charger, installation CD, probably even have the box around here somewhere if I look hard enough!!

All the accessories are yours,. 100% free, if you want it - all I ask is that you pay for the postage (I'm in Perth Western Australia)

I don't want to sell this stuff, I just wantit to go to a good home

everything is in perfect workign condition

email me on bruce.lee@iinet.net.au if you're interested, my name is Cindy

cheers mate sorry I am not on a regular on this forum, just trying to find someone who might be interested in these accessories

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.