Phones forum

General discussion

palm with a VGA 640 x 480 resolution

by marcolisi / January 24, 2006 1:39 AM PST

Hello guys ,

could please tell me what is the best palm with a screen with resolution VGA 640 x 480 ??

I need a very very good palm that has a very good quality of the screen.

I was thinking to buy an ASUS

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: palm with a VGA 640 x 480 resolution
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: palm with a VGA 640 x 480 resolution
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Well...
by John.Wilkinson / January 24, 2006 2:08 AM PST

First, I'd like to note two technicalities...it's actually 480x640 when speaking of PDAs with VGA screens, and no Palm (PDAs from Palm Inc.) has one. Since you mentioned an Asus, which runs Windows Mobile (not the Palm OS), I'm assuming you mean PDA in general. (The Palm Pilot's popularity sure did influence how people think of PDAs, didn't it?) In that case, I'd like to point you to the Dell Axim X51v. Compared to the MyPal A730W, it has a newer operating system (5.0 trumps 2003SE), WiFi (the MyPal lacks a built-in antenna), and twice the ROM (256MB vs 128MB) for storage, all with a savings of over $100. (The X51v is on sale for just $424, compared to the A730W's $550+ price tag.) The only downside is that the X51v lacks a built-in digital camera. Personally I can't think of a better deal.

Hope this helps,
John

Collapse -
what about this other ?
by marcolisi / January 24, 2006 4:59 AM PST

Thank u for the advice.

Someone also suggest me this product :

Fujitsu-Siemens serie Loox 7xx ( 718 e 720 )

What do u think ??

thank u

Collapse -
Dell still wins...
by John.Wilkinson / January 24, 2006 5:41 AM PST

The Loox 700 series is similar to the MyPal previously queried...same price range, older version of Wndows Mobile (2003SE), a 520MHz PXA272 XScale processor, and 128MB of ROM. Since the Axim X51v exceeds just about every spec given for both the MyPal and the Loox (the lone exception is that the Dell lacks the built-in camera), and does it for a lower price, it remains the champion through the rematch. Provided the digital camera is not a requirement, the Axim X51v will remain seated in the throne until the next generation of PDAs are released later this year.

Hope this helps,
John

Collapse -
HP iPaq Pocket PC hx4700
by marcolisi / January 26, 2006 1:29 AM PST

Hello , sorry to bother u again , I have 1 last question .
What do u think about the

HP iPaq Pocket PC hx4700 ??

If u could make a list , would u make a list like that ??

1)Axim X51v

2)HP iPaq Pocket PC hx4700

3)ASUS

Collapse -
It's no bother...
by John.Wilkinson / January 26, 2006 5:43 AM PST

The Axim X51v and iPaq hx4700 are both very good PDAs. The Axim's got the multimedia accelerator and more ROM for storage, but the iPaq's got a larger screen (4'' VGA vs 3.7'' VGA) and a metal body that's more resistent to, well, use. In addition both support Windows Mobile 5.0. (The hx4700 natively came with 2003SE, though, meaning you have to purchase the OS upgrade.) The deciding factor for me would be the cost...$424 for the X51v vs $649 for the hx4700. Thus, I'd take the X51v over the hx4700. (By the way, the hx4700 has now been retired as HP prepares to release its next line of PDAs, but the X51v remains the king of the walk.)

I'd place the MyPal A730W at third because it costs over $550, but spec-wise should cost less than the X51v. (The processor and ROM don't live up to the price tag.) As to the Loox 700, I'd leave it off the list simply because it's the same as the MyPal but of generally lesser quality. (Fujitsu-Siemens is not the company to turn to for PDAs.)

Let us know which one you choose.

John

Collapse -
multimedia accelerator
by marcolisi / January 27, 2006 4:01 AM PST
In reply to: It's no bother...

hello.

I think yhat tomorrow I will go to buy the hp hx4700.
The reason is that in italy to buy the dell Axim x51v , I need to buy it in internet . There are no dell stores in IT.

I hope that the HP will be as good as the dell.

Reguarding the multimedia accelerator that is in the axim x51v , what is it ??
Is it a software ?? Is it possible to add it into the HP ??

thank u

Collapse -
RE: Multimedia accelerator...
by John.Wilkinson / January 27, 2006 4:25 AM PST
In reply to: multimedia accelerator

Dell's just one of those companies you can only find online...they don't have their own stores, nor do they work with retailers. The multimedia accelerator is, to my knowledge, only found in the Dell Axim X50v and X51v, and is similar to a computer's graphics card. It is a piece of hardware with 16MB dedicated video memory (seperate from the other RAM and ROM) that enhances the video output in a pretty nice fashion. It is not possible to buy and install your own, or have other models upgraded to include, so if you want it you'll have to turn to Dell. I'd also like to note that Dell has just reduced the price of the X51v even further, to $324, which is $175 off the regular price. (It looks like they are trying hard to convince you go buy their PDA. ;)) With the 4700 now costing over $200 more than the Axim, it may be worth it to order online and wait a week or so.

Hope this helps,
John

P.S. I find it quite interesting that in Italy they are still selling the X30 high (my baby was retired here in the US over a year ago) and the X50v, but lacks the X51 low and mid. Just something I never looked at before.

Collapse -
OS upgrade (Microsoft Windows Mobile) for the hx4700
by marcolisi / January 27, 2006 3:53 PM PST
In reply to: It's no bother...

Hello , when u say :

The hx4700 natively came with 2003SE, though, meaning you have to purchase the OS upgrade.

Reading this article :

http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/pscmisc/vac/us/en/sm/pocketpc/MS5.0_upgrade.html

It tells me that

The Microsoft Windows Mobile 5.0 upgrade is currently available for the HP iPAQ hx2000 series Pocket PC. The upgrade kit for the hx4700 will be available in Spring 2006.

Does this means that the hx4700 , for now can only run with the old os at difference of the Axim X51v that instead runs with The Microsoft Windows Mobile 5.0 ??

thank u

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Yes...you'd have to wait for WM5.0 for the hx4700.
by John.Wilkinson / January 27, 2006 11:12 PM PST
Collapse -
I choose the HP
by marcolisi / January 28, 2006 4:44 AM PST

hello guys, I just bought the hp hx4700 .
I haven't tried it yet . I will let u know.

Here in IT the price of the axim x51v is EUR 520.80
that include 18 eur for the spedition.

Instead I paid 549 EUR for the HP .

I choose to get the HP , because I prefer to see things before buyng them .
Dell does not sell the palm in the store but onlu in the internet. I personally do not like this option .

thank u

Collapse -
Landscape view
by marcolisi / January 26, 2006 8:16 AM PST

Hello , I forgot to ask this .
I am sure that the Asus mypal A730W , has the option to pivot the screen to landscape view.

Does the Axim x51v and the others do the same thing ???

thank u

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Yes, that's available in WM2003SE and up, including 5.0
by John.Wilkinson / January 26, 2006 10:21 AM PST
In reply to: Landscape view

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!