Phones forum

General discussion

Palm TX vs. Tungsten E2 (does bigger screen = better?)

by mikexz / June 4, 2006 3:57 AM PDT

it seems that the palm TX and E2 are excatly the same except that E2 is about $100 cheaper... a wifi card could be used with the E2 so that it could connect to the internet just like TX...

Is it worth it to pay the extra $100 just to get a bigger screen and built in wifi? (or maybe I am missing something here)

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Palm TX vs. Tungsten E2 (does bigger screen = better?)
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Palm TX vs. Tungsten E2 (does bigger screen = better?)
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
There's more than that...
by John.Wilkinson / June 4, 2006 1:57 PM PDT

Aside from the TX having a larger and higher quality display, as well as built-in WiFi, it has a faster processor (312MHz vs 200Mhz) and a heck of a lot more memory (128MB vs 32MB). Given those four advantages, the TX is most definitely worth the extra $100.

John

Collapse -
Compare again.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 5, 2006 4:07 AM PDT

I've yet to see adding a wifi card to bring any equivilence to these 2 models. I own the T|X and we've fielded hundreds of the E2.

I carry the T|X with me. Nice unit.

Bob

Collapse -
well....
by mikexz / June 5, 2006 8:03 AM PDT

How does the battery life compare between TX and E2?

--also, would a LifeDrive be a better alternative to TX...since I am also in need of a digital camera but I am not sure if the pic quality will be good on the LD.

Collapse -
As to pic quality...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 5, 2006 11:55 PM PDT
In reply to: well....

Just google up pictures from the LD.

I own the T|X, have a 4GB memory card (99bucks) and didn't think about the camera since I have a nice digital camera, but a good point.

Battery life is something well beyond 2 years. My IIIc needs a battery, is well over 4 years old but it still works well enough I haven't shopped for a new battery. Most people drop and break their PDA before the end of life on the battery.

I'd find the bulky LD to be something I would not want to carry.

Bob

Collapse -
I meant as in "per charge"
by mikexz / June 6, 2006 9:17 AM PDT
In reply to: As to pic quality...

how long it would last after each charge.....

does the Tx do a good job for editing and typing documents? Does it create any errors in MS word documents after connecting to the computer?

finally...when I connect it to the computer does it show it was a removable hard drive?

Collapse -
See reviews for runtimes.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 6, 2006 10:55 AM PDT

No need for me to duplicate web content.

As to Documents to go, again, an item you can trust the reviews about. I'll note that the same issues that you see in the PocketPC versions will be an issue (no printer drivers so no printer/page formatting...) It's still a PDA, not a PC. I did get a keyboard for my IIIc and it was fun until I moved on to a small laptop.

As to removable hard disk, there is SOFTICK that has software to make that happen if you so desire.

Bob

Collapse -
Would a Laptop at same price be better?
by mikexz / June 6, 2006 12:44 PM PDT

Do you know of any laptops (thin and light) which is about the price of the Palm TX that would be a better alternative for me because I just need something light that I can carry around to read and type my notes and some ocassional music.

Collapse -
Since I own the T|X
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 6, 2006 9:32 PM PDT

Notes and music would be spot on for such a device. You seem to waiver a bit about Word formatting and now you write "notes." A heavy Word user would flame both docstogo and the PocketPC versions on formatting. But for "notes" this is easy. Get the LANDWARE keyboard. It's nice.

As to a 399 buck laptop, you should make a list of those. My list has none.

Bob

Collapse -
One Last Thing...
by mikexz / June 7, 2006 8:25 AM PDT
In reply to: Since I own the T|X

I've been reading alot of reviews about the TX and almost everyone has a different idea on the TX's battery life per charge.

Since you have a TX, can you tell me on average (just typical e-mail checking and typing) how long would it last with one charge?

thanks

Collapse -
Never ran out.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 7, 2006 12:17 PM PDT
In reply to: One Last Thing...

Sorry but I've never run any tests on that. For me, a non-issue since the minutes per charge far exceed what I use it for. And I leave it connected when I'm done with it so it's always ready to go.

Bob

Collapse -
what if...
by mikexz / June 9, 2006 6:51 AM PDT
In reply to: Never ran out.

what if I was only to use my palm for the following...

-edit my ppt, word, excel....
-read and type my notes
-to keep track of project deadlines
-graphing for math class
-reading books for english class
-possibly a digital camera (is there an attachment or something) (so that I could use it like a portable scanner)
-A dictionary and encyclopedia

Would a E2 be of better value in that case? because I am really pressured on money right now since I going to have to pay for books, tution, and a new laptop (or tablet). And there isn't any wifi spots that I know of in my school.

thanks

Collapse -
You'll have to choose someday.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 9, 2006 11:00 AM PDT
In reply to: what if...

Too bad you missed out on that Zire 72 fire sale. I added one to the collection for 127 bucks (new!) The E2 is still a solid contender. We fielded another 100 just last month and there's not much to report. They just work and the battery minutes are better than the old E model.

Bob

Collapse -
fielded?
by mikexz / June 9, 2006 11:09 AM PDT

"We fielded another 100" --sorry but what does fielded mean?

Collapse -
What I didn't reveal is...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 9, 2006 2:05 PM PDT
In reply to: fielded?

I write and maintain a few Palm applications. We supply PalmOne devices to the installers with the needed software and cables.

I hope this clears that up.

Bob

Collapse -
there is a solution for you!
by xlrc / July 7, 2006 6:43 AM PDT

The answer of you request is Compaq EVO N410c!
Despite,it out of trade for long time
you would surprise how handle is this
very clever built laptop!
If you are lucky,could you find it on Ebay!

Cheers
Vince

Collapse -
Any Stores
by mikexz / June 10, 2006 2:48 AM PDT

Do you know any onlines stores that sell the Palm TX for cheaper than the average price? (I live in Toronto, Canada)

Collapse -
Only on Amazon.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 10, 2006 3:16 AM PDT
In reply to: Any Stores

PalmOne seems to rap the knuckles if some supplier steps out of line with the MSRP dictated by PalmOne. However my dad bought his on Amazon for a little less.

Bob

Collapse -
Samsung's Q1
by mikexz / June 11, 2006 2:23 AM PDT

would the Samsung's Q1 be a better alternative since it "Should" be able to replace my laptop and my PDA.

Collapse -
Hit the lottery?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 11, 2006 2:49 AM PDT
In reply to: Samsung's Q1

That's not a PDA and certainly not in the price range you seemed concerned about.

-> And that battery life! Abysmal compared to the PDAs we were discussing.

Bob

Collapse -
UMPC's need a smaller form factor and keyboard
by jimmithybob / June 16, 2006 4:48 AM PDT
In reply to: Samsung's Q1

I am encouraged about the OS in that it proves that an mobile OS can be made to run XP but thus far the hardware companies are building the wrong form factor. Most buisness people would purchase them if they were small enough to fit in a suit jacket pocket and incorporated a keyboard. That type of device would sell like Ipods! It has never been done as of yet as there has been no mobile computer with a touch type keyboard running an OS the same as desktops. We were getting close with the HPC2000's like the HP Jorndad 728's but since then nothing excites me. The reality is we all prefer touch type keyboad input and we do want a mobile computer that we can store in a pocket BUT we hate thumb keyboards! The next UMPC's should be about 4" by 7.5 " and less than an inch thick, have a touch type keyboard.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

Meet the drop-resistant Moto Z2 Force

The Moto Z2 Force is really thin, with a fast processor and great battery life. It can survive drops without shattering.