1. I found the battery on amazon.com
2. I can sync over IRDA and the other bluettooth. This is not an offer to teach how. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Palm_OS
3. As to upgrading wifi. No.
4. "every time I push the sync button, the TX performs a soft reset. Not even a pause"
Item 4 is the killer. I got myself into that situation and resolving it seems to be beyond "owners" and "users." I write Palm applications so I can avoid the call to support since I know to do the hard reset, setup a new user and migrate into the new user name. Again it's far too much for me to offer one on one support for this beyond sharing how I got my PDA back.
Remember I write Palm applications so I own about a dozen models of the Palm units. I'm writing to share and not as a replacement for your support lines.
5. The SD card issue. Could be contact failures. Rare but most often seen on many year old units where people use them a lot. However since the machine can't hotsync that could be a sign that software issues are afoot. You would do the hard reset (bye bye what's installed) to test.
I had a Palm Tungsten E for several years and love it, but the battery was starting to develop charging problems, and I wanted to upgrade to wi-fi capability. Well, the new TX has been a pain since I opened the box. I had to return it because the touchscreen didn't work, and now I can't sync it. Initially, I followed the Palm instructions for transferring to a new Palm, which took two or three days of working on it, and I managed to get my data from the Tungsten E to the TX. I had to delete some programs that seemed to cause problems moving from the E to the TX, but they were no great loss. Now everything seems to work on the TX, except the sync problem. I am running the software on my Windows XP laptop, as I didn't want to deal with the Vista compatibility issues, and every time I push the sync button, the TX performs a soft reset. Not even a pause, it just resets. I have Googled this and haven't found a fix that seems to work. Now, I am unable to use my SD cards--the TX won't read the cards at all, even commercially purchased apps. Any ideas or suggestions?