Phones forum

General discussion

Palm OS vs. Windows Mobile OS

by photobotz / May 2, 2004 4:09 AM PDT

For someone looking to buy a handheld that will need to operate seemlessly in a Windows-only PC environment (i.e. hotsync, application compatibility, etc) which OS is best? Particularly evaluating HP vs. Sony handhelds, which use Windows or Palm OS respectively. Pros/cons for either OS?

thanks

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Palm OS vs. Windows Mobile OS
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Palm OS vs. Windows Mobile OS
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re:Palm OS vs. Windows Mobile OS
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 2, 2004 7:27 AM PDT

Frankly, neither deliver. Just look at how poorly Pocket Excel handles spreadsheets.

"265761 - INFO: Unable to Automate Pocket Word and Pocket Excel
The Windows CE versions of Microsoft Office products, Pocket Word and Pocket Excel, cannot be automated because their object models are not exposed. ...
support.microsoft.com/ default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q265761 - 12k - Cached - Similar pages

169948 - Hidden Sheet Visible After Conversion to Pocket Excel
Hidden sheets become visible in Pocket Excel after you convert a Microsoft Excel file to Pocket Excel for the Handheld PC (H/PC). ... Microsoft Pocket Excel 1.0. ...
support.microsoft.com/ default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;q169948 - 12k - Cached - Similar pages

176956 - Cell Border Formatting Is Missing in Pocket Excel Files
When you open a file in Microsoft Pocket Excel, the cells in the spreadsheet may be missing border formatting. Comments? Provide ...
support.microsoft.com/ default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;q176956 - 13k - Cached - Similar pages

175366 - Data May Be Lost Saving Pocket Excel File
Data May Be Lost Saving Pocket Excel File. View products that this article applies to. ... When you save a file in Microsoft Pocket Excel, you may lose data. CAUSE. ...
support.microsoft.com/ default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;q175366 - 12k - Cached - Similar pages

162496 - Pocket Excel Flickers When Moving from One Cell to ...
When you move from one cell to another cell in Pocket Excel, the screen may seem to flicker. ... Pocket Excel Flickers When Moving from One Cell to Another. ...
support.microsoft.com/ default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;q162496 - 12k - Cached - Similar pages

162946 - Cell References Not Updated in Pocket Excel
When you cut information from a cell or group of cells in Pocket Excel and then paste the information into a different cell or group of cells, you may ...
support.microsoft.com/ default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;q162946 - 12k - Cached - Similar pages

166745 - Error Message Opening Microsoft Excel File on Handheld PC
... desktop computer to your Handheld PC (H/PC), you may receive one of the following error messages when you attempt to open the file in Pocket Excel: This file ...
support.microsoft.com/ default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;q166745 - 13k - Cached - Similar pages

169098 - Location Is Not Preserved After Opening File from PC Card
When you open a Pocket Excel (.pxl) file that is located on a Flash random-access memory (RAM) PC Card, the path to the file on the PC Card is not preserved as ...
support.microsoft.com/ default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;q169098 - 12k - Cached - Similar pages

162636 - Characters Not Displayed at Specified Font Size
In Pocket Word or Pocket Excel, if you change the font size to a number that is not available in the Font Size box and then press ENTER, the number you type is ...
support.microsoft.com/ default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;q162636 "

That's just one app on the PPC.

If operating seamlessly was your goal, they have work to do.

Bob

Collapse -
Re:Re:Palm OS vs. Windows Mobile OS
by photobotz / May 2, 2004 1:54 PM PDT

Thanks for the eye opener. Wink

Considering all that, which would you still recommend? Palm or PPC?

Collapse -
Re:Re:Re:Palm OS vs. Windows Mobile OS
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 2, 2004 9:52 PM PDT

Both models are not "PC"s and neither are seamless. And both can offer some nice PDA features.

If you want seamless, then it's best to stay away.

If you want a PDA, then either are nice. If I were to buy one today, the short list for me would be the ipaq 2215 with a wifi card, the tungsten C or what I have now.

I currently have the Zire 71, a IIIc and a collection of other Palms which I use to test with software I've written for the Palm.

Bob

Collapse -
Forgot one.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 2, 2004 9:56 PM PDT

The Dell Axim, while boring in the PPC market may be a good idea to keep on the "look-at" list.

If I do port my software to PPC, it will be on the Dell Axim first.

Bob

Collapse -
by Mighty / May 13, 2004 3:34 PM PDT

My dad's advice for buying computing equipment since the mid-'70s:

Decide what applications you want to run and then buy the hardware+operating system that runs them.

The rest is just religion.

I started with an original Palm 1000, mostly because it was geeky-cool. But also because there was an energetic shareware community (other PDAs were trying to lock out independent 3rd party developers who didn't pay them a tribute for the privelege of developing apps for their system.) Also, Palm's synch system worked better than anyone else' at the time.

Since then I've stuck with Palm mostly because of the convenient upgrade path. But I'll readily admit that it's also partly because of religion; I like having realistically viable alternatives to the 800 lb gorilla in any market, and I'm willing to help fund them.

If you aren't sure if you'll actually use the thing, then buy an inexpensive model and give yourself a year to find out if you find it useful. After the first few months splurge on an app or two to handle the stuff that comes to mind that you think might be useful but weren't built-in (shopping lists was one of the killer apps for me. If you always have it with you then it's really convenient to add something to a list when you think of it.)

My current device: Treo 600. But that's because I know I'll use it and I know I'll keep it long enough to defray the high acquisition cost.

Collapse -
by Mighty / May 13, 2004 3:59 PM PDT

My dad's advice for buying computing equipment since the mid-'70s:

Decide what applications you want to run and then buy the hardware+operating system that runs them.

The rest is just religion.

I started with an original Palm 1000, mostly because it was geeky-cool. But also because there was an energetic shareware community (other PDAs were trying to lock out independent 3rd party developers who didn't pay them a tribute for the privelege of developing apps for their system.) Also, Palm's synch system worked better than anyone else' at the time.

Since then I've stuck with Palm mostly because of the convenient upgrade path. But I'll readily admit that it's also partly because of religion; I like having realistically viable alternatives to the 800 lb gorilla in any market, and I'm willing to help fund them.

If you aren't sure if you'll actually use the thing, then buy an inexpensive model and give yourself a year to find out if you find it useful. After the first few months splurge on an app or two to handle the stuff that comes to mind that you think might be useful but weren't built-in (shopping lists was one of the killer apps for me. If you always have it with you then it's really convenient to add something to a list when you think of it.)

My current device: Treo 600. But that's because I know I'll use it and I know I'll keep it long enough to defray the high acquisition cost.

Collapse -
by hogan / May 14, 2004 1:07 AM PDT

The problem with any OS is that they have all become increasingly complicated, so when you try to sych or transfer data, there is an increased risk that it just will not work. If you speak to the software providers - even your own IT dept, they will not guarantee compatibility and will not predict next year's changes.

The palmtops are well underpowered for what they are expected to do with the software. When I called the HP help desk with a problem with my Jornada, they told me to take the batteries out for 20 minutes and try again. Needless to say, this causes you to lose data.

I have also experience problems with synching devices - phones, palmtops, laptops - is this just me?

I made the mistake of backing up my palmtop on my pc, then losing my palmtop but the only way to read a backed up directory is to reload it on a palmtop - oops.

Until we come up with a processor which doesn't get anywhere near as hot as the Itel chips (they did once seriously want to put one in a handheld, until we told them it was too warm), keep your heavy processing on a laptop or desktop or better still, use a pencil and paper.

The best palmtop was the Psion 3 Series. Alas, no longer made as they tried to make a Psion 7 and have now given up in favour of software.

Regards

Martin Hogan

Collapse -
by billnie / May 14, 2004 3:50 AM PDT

I've had Palm based PDAs for several years and used Documents to Go. While I would hardly say the transfer of files is 'seemless', it does seem to work quite well for viewing Word and Excel documents and making edits on the PDA. Documents to Go seems more difficult to design a complex spreadsheet in than Excel on the desktop PC. I have developed somewhat simple Excel files on the PDA with Documents to Go. I have been quite satisfied with the ease of moving documents to the PDA and being able to get edited versions back on my desktop PC using a Sony Palm based PDA with Documents to Go.

Bill

Collapse -
by LittleDzz / May 14, 2004 6:26 AM PDT

I have a Toshiba e405 PocketPC and love it. Word works just like it does on my puter. I don't use it for Excel, so I can't speak to the problems I've read about that program, but I can say I've enjoyed using the programs on my PPC. I recently purchased an IR Wireless Keyboard...had to try a few to get the right one, but wow! It's great. I feel like I have a mini lap top! It runs on the Windows OS, which I also like, because I am so familiar with it. I know Palm seems to be the OS that is very popular, but that doesn't necessarily mean it's the best! At least for me, I'm loving my Windows version PPC! Diane

Collapse -
by The Gadgeteer / May 15, 2004 12:50 AM PDT

I have a Treo 270 Smartphone because I got tired of carrying both a PDA and Cell Phone. I prefered the Palm OS system because of the vast amount of downloadable software, most of which was available as a 'trial' download (try-before-you-buy). However, I agree that 'seamless' it is not. The other factor to consider is that ANY device or application you buy today will be out of date tomorrow. As a "gadget geek" it has been hard to live with the fact that my Treo 270 is not now supported by my service provider (after one year of use) because it has been superceded by the Treo 600. As a suggestion, I recently downloaded an application called "I'm InTouch" from www.01com.com. This program enables me to access my home desktop from anywhere using my mobile device.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?