General discussion

Palin e-mail hacked by son of Tennessseee Deomicrat Rep?

So it appears: http://www.nationalledger.com/artman/publish/article_272622799.shtml

Pictures have surfaced online of David Kernell. The Sarah Plain e-mail hack case investigation is moving forward and authorities want are reportedly speaking with the son of an elected Democrat. According to a report from The Tennessean a state rep from the state of Tennessee named Mike Kernell has a son, David Kernell and he has been contacted about the investigation.

The person claiming to be the hacker also wrote online that he found nothing in the e-mails that was incriminating and was very disappointed. E-mails and personal photos of Palin and her family were also published online.

If it's true he should be prosecuted to the full extent of the law.

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: Palin e-mail hacked by son of Tennessseee Deomicrat Rep?
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Palin e-mail hacked by son of Tennessseee Deomicrat Rep?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
To Kees...

If you think this is in any way comparable to the crazy rumors you posted, you are way off. Her e-mail WAS hacked. The Congressman's son IS being investigated in connection with it.

Let's get real.

- Collapse -
In your first post ...

you write "contacted about the investigation". That's something else as "investigated". I relied on your choice of words.
Your second post is deleted, alas, so I can't see the exact terms.

- Collapse -
It's back again.

All you say is "he has been named on the net as being investigated". That's what I call a rumor.

Kees

- Collapse -
Hahahaaha.

It's much more than a rumor. Stay tuned.

But, whatever.

- Collapse -
It's repeated below...

I have no idea why on earth it was deleted, if it was

There seems to be something weird going on with the forum today.

"contacted about the investigation" is not so very different from "investigated. You are splitting hairs.

- Collapse -
Thought I posted this already...
http://www.myeyewitnessnews.com/news/local/story.aspx?content_id=b7bdde8e-c9d1-4d2a-a7c3-f35ac05152d6

MEMPHIS, TN ? A Memphis lawmaker told a radio talk show host that his son is in the center of internet chatter in connection with the hacking of Vice Presidential Candidate Sarah Palin?s private email.

Tennessee State Rep. Mike Kernell told WREC radio talk show host Mike Fleming that his son, 20 year-old David has been named in several internet discussions and websites as being investigated in the hacking. David Kernell is a student at the University of Tennessee in Knoxville.

Details emerged Thursday behind the break-in of Republican vice presidential candidate Sarah Palin's e-mail account, including a first-hand account suggesting it was vulnerable because a hacker was able to impersonate her online to obtain her password.
- Collapse -
The center of "internet chatter" ? That's all ?

Hacking is a serious problem across the net, as is security in general. However, I would have liked to see some more conclusive evidence about anyone's involvement than reports related to "internet chatter".

The article linked to also mentions this... "The break-in of Palin's private account is especially significant because Palin sometimes uses non-government e-mail to conduct state business. Previously disclosed e-mails indicate her administration embraced Yahoo accounts as an alternative to government e-mail, which could possibly be released to the public under Alaska's Open Records Act."

Considering this, and other attempts to make a side run around gov info disclosure laws... I would like to see future laws outlawing such practices.

- Collapse -
Wow! That's a biggie. Sarah has used email.

I guess she could just write a note or letter instead. Then she could be accused of not knowing how to use email.

- Collapse -
Her secret e-mail accounrt....
- Collapse -
It's probably coming,Grim...

It's probably coming, Grim. The FBI and Secret Service have identified the proxy server that the hacker used to attempt to cover his tracks and have seized copies of their records. They'll backtrack to to his ISP and from there to his identity.
Oh, BTW, the using e-mail to conduct state business routine that you picked up somewhere does not hold water. When it was gong on, people took screen shots of the hacker's doings and even he lamented the fact that all he found was personal stuff.
It was a felony, Grim, and the FBI and Secret Service are after him big time. 20 year old vs. them, I'd wager that they win.

- Collapse -
(NT) And rightly so.
- Collapse -
as Conan O'Brien said

This week, someone was able to hack into Sarah Palin's Yahoo! e-mail account, because she hadn't taken the proper security measures. So it's official ? no one in the Palin family uses protection.

and i don't even like the guy

Happy

- Collapse -
Usually he's funny...

But sadly that joke wasn't very.

- Collapse -
and there i was thinking to myself

usually he's not funny

but this joke is

but as they say, different strokes

Happy

- Collapse -
I laughed. .............. as an aside...

... I'm not looking forward to him taking over the tonight show (sorry Conan, but that's the truth). I have seen him conduct some great interviews... but I have seen him ruin more than a few with sophomoric behavior.

- Collapse -
Ouch!
Grin

Dan
- Collapse -
Tennessee coverage

Knoxville

http://www.knoxnews.com/news/2008/sep/18/tennessean-state-reps-son-contacted-palin-e-mail-p/

Nashville

http://tennessean.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080919/NEWS0206/809190400

Memphis

The evidence is tenuous. In fact, The Jawa Report, one of the first blogs to allege the son of a Democratic politician was responsible, relied on e-mail tips and described its evidence as "pretty thin."

An FBI and Secret Service investigation into the hacking, launched Wednesday, now involves agents in Memphis, said C.M. Sturgis, a spokesman for the Memphis FBI branch.

"All I can say is that a matter was referred to us from the Anchorage, Alaska, office. An investigation at this time is being coordinated out of FBI headquarters in the Department of Justice," Sturgis said.

http://www.commercialappeal.com/news/2008/sep/18/kernell-mum-feds-probe-palin-email-hacking/

Angeline
Speakeasy Moderator

- Collapse -
A video clip describes this erratic behavior,Ed....
- Collapse -
UPDATE: FBI serves search warrant against UT student in Pali

The FBI is stepping up its investigation into the possibility that a University of Tennessee student hacked into the personal e-mail of Vice Presidential candidate Sarah Palin.

A person who identified himself as a witness tells 10 News that agents with the FBI served a federal search warrant at the Fort Sanders residence of David Kernell early Sunday morning. Kernell lives in the Commons apartment complex at 1115 Highland Ave.

David Kernell is the son of Mike Kernell, a Democratic state representative from Memphis.

A Department of Justice spokesperson confirmed there has been "investigatory activity" in Knoxville regarding the Palin case, but she said there are no publicly available search warrants, and no charges have been filed.

A separate law enforcement source confirmed to 10 News that a search warrant was served on Kernell's apartment.

According to the witness, several agents arrived at The Commons of Knoxville around midnight.

They presented their badges upon entering Kernell's apartment, where several students were having a party, and took down their names.

The witness tells us they asked him and those who did not live in the unit to go outside. He believes the investigators took about 1.5 to 2 hours taking pictures of everything inside the apartment.

He says Kernell's three roommates were also subpoenaed, and must testify this week in Chattanooga.

Knoxville blogger and WBIR contributor Terry Frank has posted what she says are images from Kernell's Facebook page.

http://www.wbir.com/news/local/story.aspx?storyid=64033&provider=top

- Collapse -
If this had been done to a Democrat...

or a suspected Islamic terrorist, I can only imagine the howls of outrage and protest from the usual "guardians" of our privacy. Instead they treat it as a joke.

- Collapse -
(NT) rubbish
- Collapse -
Double rubbish.

But your reply was well reasoned.

- Collapse -
Oh, really?

What do you base that on? We've seen it hap[pen that way many times.

- Collapse -
I seem to remember ...

it was a Republican president who obstructed the Watergate inquiry.

There's no big difference between breaking in a building and breaking in a mailbox. Both are breaking the law and should be investigated by the authorities. Where in this forum was it said that it shouldn't in this case?

Indeed, we've seen it more.

Kees

- Collapse -
Supremely irrelvant.

Of course it's being investigated. I was referring to the media and the so-called guardians of our rights who usually kick up a fuss. They seem curiously silent on this. Wonder why?

Could it be.....hypocrisy?

- Collapse -
I live in the TN state capitol...

...... where the story is not being treated as a joke, and is being reported as the FBI gives press releases.

Throughout the story has not been treated lightly, not been treated as a joke.

I assume that other outlets are picking these up as it seems logical there is as much interest as there is here.

Until the FBI completes its investigation, it will not be known if the young man in question is the guilty party. If so if he did it as a joke or because he could. Or, as you and others have implied, he by being the son of a Democrat legislator, served as a tool to spy into the governor's email.

We in TN would take such an event seriously regardless of which candidate was the victim by ties to which party regardless of your based accusation to the contrary.

Angeline
Speakeasy Moderator

- Collapse -
It was treated like a joke on late night TV...

and here at SE!

Where's the ACLU, etc.?

I'll say it again:

I was referring to the media and the so-called guardians of our rights who usually kick up a fuss. They seem curiously silent on this. Wonder why?

- Collapse -
RE: It was treated like a joke on late night TV.

Isn't that what late night tv is about.....

Have a few laughs ...calm down and mellow out before we go to sleep?

(or cry, depending on your sense of humour) Don't watch late night tv.

- Collapse -
Missing the point again...

INSTEAD of being protested by the usual liberal hounds, it is being treated like a joke.

Don't know how I cam be more clear. Where are they? Absent!

- Collapse -
the usual liberal hounds

You mentioned late night tv, I referred to late night tv, is late night tv the usual liberal hounds?

CNET Forums