General discussion

Pakistani Road

Pakistani Road

We follow Pakistani truck drivers facing
death at every turn transporting goods across mountain passes on
arguably the world's most dangerous road.
Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: Pakistani Road
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Pakistani Road
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Too hazarous

and no sign of the IBT anywhere.

- Collapse -
Rather harsh...take hands off wheel

he slaps him in the face.

- Collapse -
common in Islamic countries

I was eating a meal in Adana, Turkey (1985) and motioned for the waiter, a teenage boy to refill my water glass. He came over immediately and did so, and as he walked away, the head waiter came over and slapped the heck out of him. Why? Because I had to ask. If I'd have realized it at the time I'd have waited till he'd noticed on his own. I was so mad I wanted to slap the head waiter, but my friends I was visiting who were stationed there urged me not to. They informed me it was like that all over around there, lots of face slapping by those in charge of those who worked for them. Life in a Muslim country is not fun.

- Collapse -
Yes, the Turks are serious.

When I was stationed in Michigan, we had a young airman who accepted an assignment to Izmir, Turkey with the provision that he'd be sent back to Michigan at the end of his tour there. Dale was nowhere to be seen, however, on the date that he was supposed to report back. I remember quipping that he'd probably been thrown in jail. It turns out that I was almost right. Shortly before Dale was to leave Izmir, he and a friend got into an altercation with a Turkish merchant in the town bazaar. The bargaining gone bad went really bad when the friend got angry and tore a Turkish 500 lira note up - right through the picture of Mustafa Kemal Ataturk, the founder of the modern Turkish state. That was perceived as a very vile insult to all Turks by the merchant.

The police were called and it took Dale some two weeks past his planned departure date to convince the authorities that he was blameless and had no ill feelings towards the Turkish nation and people before he was allowed to leave.

Moral: When in another country, there are some customs and traditions that you flaunt at your peril; it's best to know what they are and never, ever come close to doing damage to them.

- Collapse -
We got briefings and were shown movies

as you probably were as well. The one I remember most vividly had to do with a person losing their fingers for some offense. I've forgotten whether it was for theft or drugs but the scene of severing device doing it's work on real human hands was enough to want me to never leave the barracks anywhere but in the US. Happy

- Collapse -
A well-traveled ex-Marine I worked with

said he never used any 'bad' word other than "Fooey!" because he hadn't met a culture that disapproved of it. Seriously.

- Collapse -
Take that and that

Many comments about "slapping" which is common. It like a person here "bitching" about whatever. What person here hasn't heard foul langange just for gettiing a Coke, ie. Of course, it only goes so far, and don't be surprised by the stick whacking or even the Police doing it. Life is different elsewhere in the world. But, also a man is judged by not only taking it but stopping excessive force as well. A man becomes a man quite early. -----Willy Happy

- Collapse -
Americans customs left home

Didn't take a job with ARMACO(sp) because I knew it would be difficlut being the person I am having to deal with others in their nation. Not, that it may come to that, but you get into trouble far too quick in some places when you don't know the customs or think you do and find out the hard way. Next, I'm a type that's willing to confront rather than let things go if I think I'm in the right. That maybe bad anywhere in the world but when you're alone or thought of as the ugly American, it becomes rather hard to defend against when other motives are afoot. AND this was long before Iraq war, many yrs. before. Americans got alot to learn when they leave the xcountry and not for leisure visits and/or outside the travel brochure area. -----Willy Happy

- Collapse -
re:

Yes, this is the one of the most dangerous situation of the south asia.

- Collapse -
Related, in Thailand.

CNET Forums