Browsers, E-mail, & Web Apps forum

Rant

Pages not loading and videos don't play

by rwagner5 / January 9, 2015 3:02 AM PST

Half the time when I click on a link or an arrow to play a video, it won't play. I just tried to read an article that is supposed to have multiple photos, but when I click on the arrow to advance to the next photo, nothing happens.

For a technology website, you must be hiring monkeys to write the code to make the site work. You should be ashamed of yourself. I'm using Google Chrome as my browser, so don't try and blame it on not having the proper Adobe plug-in installed.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Pages not loading and videos don't play
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Pages not loading and videos don't play
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
While I did alert this
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 9, 2015 3:08 AM PST

It's been found that ad blockers seem to cause this too often.
Bob

Collapse -
I'm sorry to hear you are having problems viewing our videos
by Lee Koo (ADMIN) CNET staff/forum admin / January 9, 2015 6:36 AM PST

As Bob mentioned do you have an Ad blocker installed? Sometimes those ad blockers do cause problems.

Also can you please provide me with some additional information.

Can you give me some example links where videos and pics aren't advancing int he page?

And when you click on the arrow for videos, what happens, does the video not start at all or something else?

Also can you tell me what device and OS you are using?

With this information you provide, we will be able to investigate the problems you are experiencing.

Thank you!
-Lee

Note: This post was edited by a forum moderator on 01/09/2015 at 2:45 PM PT

Collapse -
Pages not loading and videos don't play
by rwagner5 / January 9, 2015 7:39 AM PST

I have a lenovo thinkpad laptop running windows 7 professional. My browser is google chrome. I've had an ad blocker forever, but the problem has just started in the last several months. If I try to access any of the Cnet videos such as Apple Bytes, I get the number countdown at the beginning, but when it gets down to one, it just freezes.

Also, as I stated above, an article that's supposed to have multiple photos, but when I click on the arrow to advance to the next photo/page, nothing happens.

Collapse -
Pages not loading and videos won't play
by rwagner5 / January 10, 2015 2:19 AM PST

I tried turning off the adblocker extension this morning and the Cnet videos still won't play.

Collapse -
Try this test.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 10, 2015 2:37 AM PST

In a new Windows User account (make it an admin) reset Chome in that account then re-try.

Here's a link about reset: http://malwaretips.com/blogs/reset-chrome-settings/

The reason for the new Windows admin account is to get past what's in the everyday account. Keep in mind that security suites can block this as well.
Bob

Collapse -
Pages not loading and videos won't play
by rwagner5 / January 14, 2015 7:56 AM PST
In reply to: Try this test.

Why should I even bother wasting my time with this rigamarole? The videos on the Pocketnow desktop website play just fine in Chrome. Fix your ******* site or I won't bother going there anymore.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!