Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Pagefile configuration for two drive system

by juanfhj / November 16, 2008 11:39 AM PST

Greetings. I have Windows XP with 2048 memory, 4096 pagefile, and two drives. My "Program Files" and "Windows" directories are in C: . The "My Documents" directory is in D: . I'm yet to decide whether to place my pagefile in C or D. I thought the most disk activity will occur in C: , so D would seem the best choice for pagefile, but I'm not really sure about this. Any hints?

Thanks,

Juan Herrera

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Pagefile configuration for two drive system
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Pagefile configuration for two drive system
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Not worth it
by Jimmy Greystone / November 16, 2008 12:41 PM PST

It's not worth it to bother. If it's an IDE drive, you won't really gain anything performance wise, and I honestly don't know if SATA got rid of the "one device at a time" limitation of the IDE bus or not, but even if it did you're going to see very little in the way of performance increase.

Put very simply, the fastest hard drive there is out there is still thousands of times slower than pretty much every other part of your computer. You just aren't going to get that much out of it, period, so there's no point spending a lot of time obsessing over how to best arrange things. Just let Windows manage the swap file, put it on whatever drive you want, and forget about it. You'd be almost infinitely better off just adding more RAM.

Collapse -
Agree with Jimmy . . .
by Coryphaeus / November 16, 2008 9:21 PM PST

Leave it alone. In the rare instance that the drive with the swap file is completely full, then you might consider moving it or adjusting it. But, again, let it be and let Windows handle it.

I messed with mine a while back, and I have an IDE master and a SATA slave. Moving the swap file around was a PITA and I did not see any difference.

Collapse -
reply to: Pagefile........
by caktus / November 17, 2008 6:43 AM PST

If my poor memory serves me well, I seem to recall that when placing the page file on a slave drive for faster vitual memory access (really not worth the trouble) that it should be placed on a dedicated HDD, as in a HHD that has nothing else on board except the pagefile. Also, again if my poor memory serves me well, in addition the main drive must still have a local page file as some application require it.

Charlie

Collapse -
Well yeah
by Jimmy Greystone / November 17, 2008 8:13 AM PST

Well yeah, if you want to do it right, you'd put it on a dedicated drive, that is also the only drive on a given controller if IDE. But again, ultimately the gain is so minuscule it isn't worth the effort required to set it up.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!