Windows 7 forum

Question

Page too wide

by colinito / May 27, 2015 7:32 PM PDT

Hello Everyone,

I use - W7, Ultimate, Firefox 38.0.1. Yahoo mail.

I have made no technical alterations to my computer recently that might cause any change in/to the viewed page. I have only downloaded HP Diagnostic doctor for my HP Printer - which was unplugged from the USB port!

Starting about 4 days ago, the opened items in my Yahoo mail - eg. notices from Bank, opened pictures etc - appeared too large to read without having to scroll from side to side.

As from yesterday, I am unable to scroll to the side to read the print or see all of the photo.

I have right-clicked on the open desktop and tried to adjust the resolution under the "Properties" tab. This has not allowed me to scroll completely to the right in order to read the writing or see the part of the photo which is to the right of the open and visible part.

I have also tried enlarging and minimising the view by holding down Ctrl and using the mouse-wheel to enlarge or minimise the page. This was also unsuccessful.

There is obviously something that I can do to overcome this but not being very technically minded, I am not able to discover how!

I would be grateful for any advice.

Thanks,

Colinito.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Page too wide
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Page too wide
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
screen resolutions
by renegade600 / May 28, 2015 5:01 AM PDT
In reply to: Page too wide
Collapse -
forgot to mention
by renegade600 / May 28, 2015 5:02 AM PDT
In reply to: screen resolutions

you can also try going into safemode and do a system restore to a previously saved restore point prior to when the problem started.

Collapse -
Answer
browser only?
by James Denison / May 28, 2015 5:24 AM PDT
In reply to: Page too wide

Hold down the CTRL key and hit the minus key too, as many times as needed to shrink back into screen size. Bigger uses the plus key.

Collapse -
Page too wide
by colinito / May 28, 2015 6:10 PM PDT
In reply to: browser only?

Renegade600 and James Denison,

Thank you for your replies.

Not being very capable in the technical functional control of my computer, and having already tried to adjust the resolution in the way I previously described, I went into Safe Mode and did a System Restore to a recent restore point.

I then shut down the computer and re-openede it and "VOILA!" I was able to scroll from side to side of the previously unseen portions of the pages.

The unusual thing here is that after this, on checking the screen resolution (by right-clicking on the clear desktop and clicking on Screen Resolution,) it showed 1366 x 768, which is what it originally showed! I have no idea why it is now OK, but thank you anyway!

Although I have clicked on the answer of James, to indicate that the post answered my question, I believe that you have both contributed, and for that I thank you both!

Problem solved!

Regards,

Colinito.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!