Mac Applications forum

Resolved Question

Page setup in Safari is always 80% landscape

by fosterpapillon / December 3, 2011 4:19 PM PST

When I print from Safari, Mail or AddressBook, the print dialog always shows landscape at 80%, no matter whether I choose Last Used or Standard in the Presets box. I always change it to 100% portrait but it won't stick.

fosterpapillon has chosen the best answer to their question. View answer
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Page setup in Safari is always 80% landscape
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Page setup in Safari is always 80% landscape
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Best Answer chosen by fosterpapillon

Collapse -
Find an app that has a Page Setup selection under File
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / December 3, 2011 11:24 PM PST

Text Edit will do.

Collapse -
Many thanks
by fosterpapillon / December 4, 2011 5:56 AM PST

Great - Seashore also has a Make Default option in the Settings box. Life will now be much less stressful Happy

Collapse -
Can't you just use Safari settings?
by macnerd10 / December 4, 2011 9:10 AM PST
In reply to: Many thanks

Hit Print... under File and then click on "show details". You will then see the full dialog box with page setup. I am sure it will remember new settings you input.

Collapse -
Safari won't do it.
by fosterpapillon / December 4, 2011 11:50 AM PST

There's no Settings option in the Safari print dialog box I get with my Brother printer and there is no way to change the default.

Collapse -
This is strange...
by macnerd10 / December 4, 2011 5:23 PM PST
In reply to: Safari won't do it.

I don't think this print dialog box depends on the printer. I have the same on two different computers, one connected to an HP printer, the other with no printer at all. Show details button brings the page setup window. This is apparently OS-native window. I am using the latest Safari (5.1.2) under Lion. I doubt that Snow Leopard would have it differently. If you really don't see this option, maybe it's time to do some maintenance, like repairing permissions, cleaning caches, etc.
BTW, it is not Settings option, it is "show details".

Collapse -
It's called something different in Safari,
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / December 4, 2011 8:53 PM PST
In reply to: This is strange...

although it serves the same function.
Safari calls them Presets and gives you the ability to save them.

Collapse -
Correct!
by macnerd10 / December 5, 2011 2:09 AM PST

But the OP could not even get the show details window with page setup, which I find unusual. On top there are presets indeed, and print settings can be saved.

Collapse -
there are two versions of the print dialog
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / December 5, 2011 5:30 AM PST
In reply to: Correct!

the "long" version which has all the bells and whistles and the "short" version which does not show much except Print.

Maybe the OP is on the short version

P

Collapse -
Not in my print dialog
by fosterpapillon / December 5, 2011 6:01 AM PST

In the Presets box I can save a non-standard setting but, if I subsequently choose it, it makes no difference - the page still prints at the default (now 100% portrait). I have to set the Orientation and Scale manually every time. This is not a problem - my real concern was to establish the right default.

Collapse -
just a suggestion
by macnerd10 / December 5, 2011 10:06 AM PST
In reply to: Not in my print dialog

If not happy with Safari, you can try Firefox, for instance. It has page setup menu under file and is otherwise at least as good as Safari. The new install can import your Safari bookmarks.

Collapse -
Not happy with Firefox
by fosterpapillon / December 5, 2011 11:05 AM PST
In reply to: just a suggestion

I guess I'm too conservative - I've tried Firefox a few times but I always come back to Safari - it's comfortable like a pair of old slippers.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?