Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Page always there at Start-Up.

I received an e-mail with a video attachment a couple days ago.I opened it,and small box said:needed certain codec,XVid to be exact.Button said click for help.Suggestes I download XVid.I did.The video then opened and played with no trouble.NOW my problem is:everytime I start my comp. the page for Windows Media Player shows up &stays until I X it off.The page has a bunch of plug-ins,applets,set-ups,zippered files...etc.Think it has to do with start up menu,but I'm lost.Thanks for reading such a long request.I appreciate your time,chucker111.

BTW,what does the (NT) stand for in so many posts I've read?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Page always there at Start-Up.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Page always there at Start-Up.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Forgot.!!

In reply to: Page always there at Start-Up.

I'm sorry.Almost forgot.I have a Dell 4600 Windows XP Home version computer.Thanks,chucker111.

Collapse -
Answers...

Going in reverse, (NT) means "No Text." If I just wanted to reply "Thanks!" I could write "Thanks!" as the title and use (NT) to indicate that that's all there is so that you don't spend time loading the post just to find that out. The forum software actually inserts it automatically if you don't enter a body to a post.

In regards to the boot issue, go Start->Run, type in msconfig, and press enter. On the next window select the Startup tab and look for anything that's out of place...a batch (.bat) file, anything relating to Windows Media Player, etc. Just uncheck anything that's unwanted, click OK, and reboot your computer when prompted. That should take care of it.

Hope this helps,
John

Collapse -
NT means "no text", just the subject line only.

It's used for one line posts/replies.

Can I ask, what do you mean by "the page for Windows Media Player". What type of page, an internet browser page or a Windows Explorer page? I mean, is this a web site, or is it a listing of files in the folder that contains WMP?

Or is it some other page? What shows along the header bar at the top?

I have the XVid codec myself, and it hasn't done that to me, but I have to say it is never wise to open an attachment directly from an email. You never know what viruses they can contain, whether from relatives, friends, or anyne else. The rule is, "trust no-one", and save the attachment to a temporary area, (eg your desktop), then right click the file and select "Scan with (your anti-virus)".

Only then if it shows up clean should you open the file, or play it, whatever type of file it is.

It looks like something unwanted is starting up when you turn the computer on. There are places to check.

1] Goto Start > All Programs > Startup. Is there anything there that looks out of place? If so right click it and select Properties. if it is a web page or a WIndows Explorer display, delete that shortcut from the Startup list.

2] Goto Start > Run and type in "msconfig", (without the quotes). Click the Startup tab and look for anything that looks like your browser, or WMP, or Explorer, (Windows Explorer). If you find anything, unselect it and click apply, and follow the reboot instructions.

I hope this helps.

Mark

Collapse -
Alright, Mark...

In reply to: NT means "no text", just the subject line only.

Last time you ran into me like that I declined to press charges, but if you keep it up... Devil

John

Collapse -
Re:

In reply to: Alright, Mark...

First,I'll answer Mark's question.It said:WMP on the header.It was a list of files and folders(I guess).When I dragged mouse over each one,it would show date it became a part of the file.
Next,I would like to thank John AND Mark for your answers.The NT one just had me curious,makes sense NOW.
As far as the WMP problem,I followed both of your instructions.(BTW,both your post times are exact).It did the trick,but it is still strange why that started after a simple install.I'm already overly cautious about installs and downloads.Seems like something always changes afterwards.Maybe it's the system(IE).I VERY seldom open attachments in e-mails,but thanks for a reminder(kick in tail) anyway.Thank you both for your time and expertise.It is greatly appreciated.You guys are always right on it.!!Thanks,again,chucker.

Collapse -
Glad you got it sorted.

In reply to: Re:

I'm not sure why this happened to you either. It's a strange one.

And to John. My post was better than yours this time. Chucker said so. (At least, that's how I interpret it), Devil

Mark

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.