Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

packard bell

by DGREGO5558 / September 14, 2004 3:51 PM PDT

i have a old packard bell 266 mhz with win 95 and a lost floppy recovery disc. is there any where to buy a new or used one since pack bell is out of business in the us. ive looked on e bay with no luck. ive had problems with drivers before when trying to install a full win on a computer with a system like a pack bell.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: packard bell
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: packard bell
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: packard bell
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 14, 2004 10:21 PM PDT
In reply to: packard bell
Collapse -
by Glenda / September 16, 2004 12:00 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: packard bell

I had to laugh at this one:) My son's neighbor wanted me to fix his Packard Bell and I told him it was a POS and to get a new PC! Your answer was much nicer:)
Glenda

Collapse -
nix lost floppy
by reefurbb / September 16, 2004 2:56 PM PDT

A flop is too small to contain drivers or other recovery stuff except W95 emergency boot disk. Do yourself a favor and reload with W98SE, then I.E. 6.0 and all the updates. Microsoft had a deal to send you a free I.E. 6.0 CD, even free postage, as download is large for dialup.
I think your mobo has Intel chipset. Go to Intel website and download chipsetid.exe to see if you have a 440lx or such, then download the drivers as W98 doesn't really have them all. The onboard 2mb video shouldn't be a driver problem, see if you have the larger range for colors and screen sizes. If onboard sound, look for the audio chip (Crystal or such), get the chip number and search for those drivers. Modem is probably a U.S. Robotics, look at the card for info and search for drivers.
FIRST however, if the PB fires up okay, acting like it has all the drivers, slave the Hdd and put everything into a folder "old win", then browse to the inf (and others)folder to find drivers already in the PC.
I've done a few PB's and what I miss is the extra diagnostic and other unneeded software.

Collapse -
by chrissie / September 18, 2004 7:43 AM PDT

There is a Company called XTRASOFT Ltd in the United Kingdom
I have a Packard Bell also and they supplied me with a Disk and Booklet. I hope they can help you.
The Address is:
XTRASOFT LTD, Cannon Wharf Centre, 35 Evelyn Street, London. SE8 5RT
Telephone 0171 394 0372. Fax 0171 394 0371.
Email: sales@xtrasoft.co.uk.
The cost in total was

Collapse -
by remaster-it / September 24, 2004 11:55 PM PDT

Hi if it is just the boot floppy u require

Try www.packardbell.co.uk

hover over support .. then My pc support from there

you can either put the S/N number in or go to older models and choose the modle from there

You will get to all the downloads avail for your sys there .. including the boot floppy disk

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!