Speakeasy forum

General discussion

Pa extends absentee vote deadline

by Mac McMullen / October 29, 2004 1:23 PM PDT

WASHINGTON, Oct. 29, 2004 ? Military and civilian Pennsylvania residents living overseas today received an eight-day extension on the deadline to get their absentee ballots counted.

The extension came about when a federal judge today settled a lawsuit between the governor of Pennsylvania and the parents of two servicemembers, according to news reports. So the state's absentee-voter deadline moved from Nov. 2 to 5 p.m. on Nov. 10.

http://www.dod.mil/news/Oct2004/n10292004_2004102907.html

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Pa extends absentee vote deadline
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Pa extends absentee vote deadline
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Pa extends absentee vote deadline -- guaranteeing
by Dave Konkel [Moderator] / October 29, 2004 1:35 PM PDT

a repeat of 2000's uncertainty if the election's as close as many believe. That would not be good news for the stock markets or the US dollar, but would probably be great news for gold. BTW, Del, this is an observation and prediction, not a criticism -- I'm in favor of counting every legal ballot, unlike those that try to put hurdles in the way...

-- Dave K, Speakeasy Moderator
click here to email semods4@yahoo.com

The opinions expressed above are my own,
and do not necessarily reflect those of CNET!

Collapse -
This went beyond the federal program.......
by Mac McMullen / October 29, 2004 2:59 PM PDT

The Federal Voting Assistance Program (FVAP) that
provides for on-line balloting for citizens overseas
who have not received their absentee ballots, provides
that the electronic ballot must be received by the
closing of the polls in that state.

This ruling extends beyond that. Of course, we don't
know the particulars of the suit that resulted in this
ruling, so to draw any idea that this may set precedent
would be pre-mature.

Collapse -
Re: This went beyond the federal program.......
by Roger NC / October 29, 2004 7:22 PM PDT

Assuming there was a real problem in getting the absentee votes in on time, as seem to be indicated by the courts decision, the ruling is a good thing.

But I wish that all states would get such settled long before Nov 1 in the future.

Four years after the last election problems and all that resulted were political speeches then and now regarding fixing things.

I wonder if it'll be any better 20 years from now? when we all have implanted ID's anyway.

RogerNC

Collapse -
Yikes!
by Cindi Haynes / October 30, 2004 1:49 AM PDT

Hi Roger,

I've got a chip implanted in my dog, but there's no way I'd ever let them implant one in me! Shocked I hope that day never comes!

--Cindi
Speakeasy Moderator
click here to email the mods

Collapse -
It's already here, voluntarily
by Roger NC / October 30, 2004 11:46 AM PDT
In reply to: Yikes!

There are a lot of ways to get good customer service in a club......
Or, if you're feeling particularly bold, you could get a RFID chip implanted in your arm, giving you VIP status, a debit account for your drinks and just a little bit of 1984-style sci-fi paranoia.

Or maybe this one, you'll have to scroll down to HUMAN TRACKING CHIP LAUNCHED

Applied Digital Solutions has launched Mexican sales of VeriChip, a microchip that can be implanted under a person's skin and used to confirm health history and identity.

RogerNC

Collapse -
Re: It's already here, voluntarily
by Cindi Haynes / October 30, 2004 12:04 PM PDT
Collapse -
Re: Pa extends absentee vote deadline -- guaranteeing
by Dan McC / November 1, 2004 12:55 AM PST

I'm in Canadian Dollars right now, so that's OK with me.

Dan

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) but 'Ma' says "get home for supper on time"
by jonah jones / October 29, 2004 3:02 PM PDT
Collapse -
Why not GIs if PA prisoners have them
by Steven Haninger / October 30, 2004 12:11 AM PDT

I have heard that an effort to register prisoners under some new voting rights has full endorsement of the PA governor who has been said to be pushing full compliance. Here is one link and their are more.

http://www.prisoners.com/prisvot.html#voting

Collapse -
Somebody needs some math training ...
by Bill Osler / October 30, 2004 2:47 AM PDT

That article claiming that depriving prisoners of the right to vote is a way to enhance white conservative rule is a hoot. The author's mathematics and logic are seriously impaired, but that impairment is dwarfed by the author's paranoia. Not to mention impaired judgment.

Let's home that incarcerated felons don't get the right to vote any time soon. I can see some logic to the notion that felons should be re-enfranchised after they have completed all phases of their punishment, but voting while in prison? That's a scary thought.

Collapse -
He needs to read Section 2 of the 14th Amendment
by C1ay / November 1, 2004 1:46 AM PST

It says,

"Representatives shall be apportioned among the several States according to their respective numbers, counting the whole number of persons in each State, excluding Indians not taxed. But when the right to vote at any election for the choice of electors for President and Vice President of the United States, Representatives in Congress, the Executive and Judicial officers of a State, or the members of the Legislature thereof, is denied to any of the male inhabitants of such State, being twenty-one years of age, and citizens of the United States, or in any way abridged, except for participation in rebellion, or other crime, the basis of representation therein shall be reduced in the proportion which the number of such male citizens shall bear to the whole number of male citizens twenty-one years of age in such State."

It specifically allows for voters to be disenfranchised for participation in a rebellion or other crime. He should also look at the 15th Amendment which merely states that one shall not be disenfranchised based on account of race, color, or previous condition of servitude. It has no exemptions for felons.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

We are giving away 'Black Panther' swag!

Four lucky readers will be taking home *Marvel*ous "Black Panther" prizes, including magazines autographed by the King of Wakanda himself! Giveaway ends Feb. 25, 2018.