PC Hardware forum

General discussion

P45T-A Crashes with 2 sticks of Ram but stable with either

by sleepybp / October 19, 2008 4:07 AM PDT

I have an ECS P45T-A with E8400 and 4GB Gskill DDR2 800 kit (2x2gb 5-5-5-15 @1.9V) running vista 64 hp sp1. If I run both sticks of ram in it, it crashes randomly after about 10 min in windows or before boot. I have troubleshooted using either stick of ram alone and they will run 100% stable for days using only 1 chip in any memory slot. This sounds like a mb issue to me what do you guys think? Please let me have some tips, Thanks
Brian

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: P45T-A Crashes with 2 sticks of Ram but stable with either
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: P45T-A Crashes with 2 sticks of Ram but stable with either
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
The ten minutes is a clue.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 19, 2008 4:10 AM PDT

I fixed one like that last month. The owner didn't take the free advice to put two more drops of heatsink compound on the CPU. They gave up and I did it for the 50 buck minimum charge. They were not happy.

I'm unsure why some don't try the easy stuff first.

There is also an issue with memory, bios, timings and more but I will not write more than that here. It's far too deep and in short a warranty+support problem.
Bob

Collapse -
Need more help
by sleepybp / October 19, 2008 4:39 AM PDT

Well thank you for the quick reply. I know mine isnt a heat issue because I have played games on it for weeks and 0 crashes with either memory chip. About the bios and mem timings I have mine all on default right now which is 5 5 5 15 1.9v.

Collapse -
Why I shared the story.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 19, 2008 5:18 AM PDT
In reply to: Need more help

It's the same as theirs. They "knew" it wasn't that. And found it ran with one stick so it couldn't be "that."

Shop counters thrive on such issues. Let's not let them have the easy ones. Or at least be sure about that.

Again, the details in your post are not there for me to look into the other area of BIOS, memory timings and more. But you can research that on your own.
Bob

Collapse -
default settings vs default timings
by ramarc / October 19, 2008 6:24 AM PDT

i assume you're using the 06/19/2008 bios. are you manually setting the timings to match the stick or just letting the mobo use it's defaults? also, are you using the same bank of dimm slots?

first, manually set the ram for ddr2-667 and confirm it's stable. if it's not, the mobo is probably bad.

also try populating the two slots closest to the cpu (one orange, one yellow) and sticking with the mobo default memory settings. if you try to use all 4gb in one bank (both sticks in the orange slots), you may have to boost the memory voltage to 1.95v or 2.0v. if neither of these works, you may want to consider swapping ram to a memory brand that's been qualified by ecs (mushkin's a great brand but ecs may not allow an rma using their ram).
http://download.ecsusa.com/dlfileecs/manual/qvl/P45T_Av1_QVL.pdf

Collapse -
Thans ramarc
by sleepybp / October 19, 2008 6:36 AM PDT

Excellent ideas thank you much ramarc. I have not updated my bios, I will look into that. And I'm going to try the 667mhz setting. Much for me to look at now I'll get back to post on progress, crossing fingers.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?