Desktops forum

General discussion

P4 chipset compatible w/ my exist motherboard?

I have a P3-866 and was wondering how i can find out if i can upgrade to a P4 chipset using my existing motherboard? and if i can what do i look for? if they (my existing & a new) have the same # of pins is that good enough? I also have (2)stick of 256 RAM and (1) stick of 128 RAM and my system tells me that it has 384 mb of RAM....Y? what am i doing wrong? (the (2) sticks are PNY and the 128 came w/ the sys.)

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: P4 chipset compatible w/ my exist motherboard?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: P4 chipset compatible w/ my exist motherboard?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: P4 chipset compatible w/ my exist motherboard?

In reply to: P4 chipset compatible w/ my exist motherboard?

Probably no physical fit for a P4. You did not mention the MB but it will likely be a Slot 1, socket 370 or such (probably the later). P4s will be socket 478 meaning more pins. There are other reasons. Your chipset won't be right. Sorry it's not what you were hoping for.

Collapse -

In reply to: Re: P4 chipset compatible w/ my exist motherboard?

Thanks for the insight. I've been using computers since comadore 64 came out but never really got acquainted with computer architecture. where would you say the best deals are on the net for motherboards w/ P4's in them are? ...is ebay a fair place to start? thanks again for the helpful reply!

Collapse -

where would you say the best deals are on the net for motherboards w/ P4's in them are?

You are looking for MB/processor bundles. This is something I have not done. Also, the "best deal", if you mean the quoted price of the item, is never a sure thing to be the best choice. As for web purchases, my own experience has been that http://www.newegg.com/ seems to offer a good combination of price, shipping speed, and customer service. Personally, I would do my homework by deciding what I wanted to do, how much I wanted to spend, and take some time to gather up advice (good and bad) before jumping for a MB and processor. There is much more to consider than these two components to make a system work well. Feel free to post back any specific questions and you'll find lots of good advice and opinions here.
Collapse -
Re: P4 chipset compatible w/ my exist CASE and POWER?

Since you are now asking about CPU+MB combos you may not know that P3 systems usually don't have the ATX12X power connector and may not have the WATTS needed to power your new system. To power a typical system with enough to keep most out of trouble I suggest the ubiquitous 450 Watt PSU.

Next the case comes under fire since older cases rarely have the airflow needed to keep the new parts cool.

Bob

Collapse -
Re: P4 chipset compatible w/ my exist CASE and POWER?

In reply to: Re: P4 chipset compatible w/ my exist CASE and POWER?

I am aware of the cooling aspect of the cpu, but did not know about the power supply issues. i am by no means rushing into putting together a computer, but i definitely think that i'm leaning towards it. i want to get as much info as possible b4 doing so. i think i'm going to go to barnes and noble and look for books on computer building. thank you for the warning. i appreciate your insight!

Collapse -
Before the trip to B & N

In reply to: Re: P4 chipset compatible w/ my exist CASE and POWER?

Lots of free stuff to get you primed up right on the web. Just do a relevant Google search such as

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&q=build+your+own+computer&btnG=Search

My advice is don't expect bargain priced components to produce problem free rigs. Take your time in assy. Get everything to fit just right. Learn a little about ESD (electro-static discharge) which can zap some components. Most of all, have fun.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GRAMMYS 2019

Here's Everything to Know About the 2019 Grammys

Find out how to watch the Grammy Awards if you don't have cable and more.