Computer Help forum

General discussion

P C Pulse

by bill56 / January 1, 2005 12:34 AM PST

I have what seems to be a pulse, that goes through my computer every few minutes. If I am typing, I loose the prompt. I have to go back and establish the prompt again to continue typing. When playing a game, I'm knocked out of the program back to windows and I have click on the task bar to go back to the game,which went to pause. None of my other electronics are affected,so I guess a power surge is out? Please help, this is driving me nuts. Thank You in advance. Bill

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: P C Pulse
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: P C Pulse
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Did you look for spyware?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 1, 2005 12:40 AM PST
In reply to: P C Pulse

Keyboard loggers and a lot of spyware could caus the cursor or window focus to change. Or you inadvertantly enabled the voice command/input in XP and its working.

Read your post. The lack of details make this a first cut and possibly bad guess. You could be connecting from some 1985 Macintosh via a modem and its finally failing.

Bob

Collapse -
Spyware
by Yew / January 1, 2005 12:42 AM PST

Seems to be the leading cause of virtually every problem posted here within the last few months.

If you use Internet Explorer, when's the last time you scanned your system for spyware? For that matter, when's the last time you visited Windows Update? Spyware is an ever growing problem for people who insist on using IE, and it's likely to get much worse before getting better.

Even if this isn't what's causing your problem, it can't hurt. Download and run both AdAware and Spybot. That takes care of your current spyware. Then to keep spyware off in the future, I recomend using Mozilla Firefox as your new browser of choice. It's immune to virtually all current spyware, which targets IE specifically, so you won't have to go running around cleaning up after it like you do IE. The only thing you should be using IE for, is trips to Windows Update at least twice a month to grab any security patches that might have been released. Unless of course, you like having unscrupulous companies stealing private data off of your computer and then selling it to sleazy marketing companies so they can send you more spam and junk mail, which is really only the tip of the iceburg.

Collapse -
More Info
by bill56 / January 1, 2005 1:25 AM PST

I have a Dell 8100 Dimension. Upgrades, Nvidia 5900 Ultra w/256. Memory, 512 added to original 128. Win/ME.I am already running Spybot and adaware. Problem also happens when not online. If you need anymore info, ask. Thank You Bill

Collapse -
WinME and over 512MB.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 1, 2005 1:31 AM PST
In reply to: More Info
Collapse -
Need Memory
by bill56 / January 1, 2005 1:40 AM PST
In reply to: WinME and over 512MB.

I need 512+ to operate video card. I guess I have to find the extra money for xp. How long till Longhorn is released? Thank You Bill

Collapse -
Read the link noted.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 1, 2005 1:45 AM PST
In reply to: Need Memory

But first, how goes the hunt for spyware? And read the article on how to limit Windows ME to just 512MB so you don't get that glitch.

That's a fine clue about the video memory. The better money might be a video card...

As to Longhorn, my bet is that the 64-bit revolution will cause it to never appear or turn out like a Windows ME version where it appeared for one year and was quickly swept aside.

Bob

Collapse -
Spyware
by bill56 / January 1, 2005 2:00 AM PST
In reply to: Read the link noted.

I run spyware at least once a week. I pick up the same 16 violations each time. The video card cost me 500. I am reluctant to part with it. From what I have heard, Nvidia is working on a way to transfer some of the memory needs back to the card itself. Hopefully, they'll have a patch for me. I have heard of Longhorn having development problems, I guess XP is the way to go. Do you know anything about Linux? Bill

Collapse -
Linux
by Yew / January 1, 2005 2:18 AM PST
In reply to: Spyware

You wouldn't have any problems using your video card under Linux, since nVidia has official drivers for Linux, but a lot of games don't have Linux ports is the problem. Some you can get running via emulation programs, but you'll always take a bit of a performance hit. Linux is a great operating system for pretty much everything except gaming. Things are slowly changing, but that won't do you a lot of good right now.

Still, read what Bob said. WinME has problems with OVER 512MB of RAM. You said you had 128MB originally, then added another 512MB. Seems like the simple short term solution is to take out that original 128MB. Run it with 512MB until you have enough cash scraped together for XP. Then you can stick that 128MB back in.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Turn up the volume with our Apple Byte sweeps!

Two lucky winners will take home the coveted smart speaker that lets Siri help you around your connected house. This sweepstake ends Feb. 25, 2018.