Browsers, E-mail, & Web Apps forum

General discussion

OWA and Outlook? Can it be done?

by mmawards / November 11, 2010 10:38 AM PST

I have tried and tried to set up outlook on my laptop to access my email account through Outlook Web Access. If I can access through my smartphone setting up an exchange account, why is it so difficult using outlook on the laptop? Can you help?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: OWA and Outlook? Can it be done?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: OWA and Outlook? Can it be done?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: OWA and Outlook
by Kees_B Forum moderator / November 11, 2010 5:02 PM PST

OWA is a browser add-on that needs to come from the Exchange Server. So access via OWA is setup in Exchange by the IT-guy who manages Exchange server. Then you simply use your browser to browse to the url he gives you and you've got your business mail at home.

But you should be able to configure an Exchange account in standard Outlook. Here also the system manager can tell you the settings. And he might need to do some security settings to give you Access.

If it's mail on an MS Exchange server of your company, you need the help or instructions of the companies IT-staff to set it up on a laptop. What's wrong with that idea?

Kees

Collapse -
Outlook
by Este1001 / December 2, 2010 7:51 PM PST
In reply to: Re: OWA and Outlook

I have outlook on my netbook and its a home edition how do I setup my outlook (Desktop) and my mobile phone?

Collapse -
Re: Outlook
by Kees_B Forum moderator / December 2, 2010 7:56 PM PST
In reply to: Outlook

Let me summarize your question.
1. You have outlook (which version?) on your netbook. That's fine.
2. Something is a home edition (outlook, xp, windows 7?).
3. You have a Desktop also.
4. You want to setup outlook on your desktop. Great idea.
5. You want to setup your mobile phone. Gread idea also.
6. You don't know how to setup outlook on your desktop.
7. You don't know how to setup your mobile.

Right?

Kees

Collapse -
Thanks for the quick reply
by Este1001 / December 2, 2010 9:50 PM PST
In reply to: Re: Outlook

Correct with all the questions. I have office 2010 on my netbook( windows 7) and office 2007 ( XP, windows, Mozilla Firefox)Desktop and a MetroPCS samsung phone.

Collapse -
Re: setup
by Kees_B Forum moderator / December 2, 2010 9:54 PM PST

For Outlook the advice is to go to your mail providers FAQ and do what they tell you there for setting up the account.

And while you're there see if they have anything on the phone settings also. If not, start with reading the manual of the phone to see if you happen to know everything needed already from setting up Outlook.

Kees

Collapse -
Thanks a bunch
by Este1001 / December 2, 2010 11:55 PM PST
In reply to: Re: setup

Thanks

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?