General discussion

Override BIOS to increase shared video memory

I Have an HP Pavilion dv9608nr laptop with Windows Vista Ultimate x64 SP1, an AMD Turion 64 X2 TL-58 1.90 GHz processor, 2 GB of memory and a NVIDIA GeForce Go 7150M GPU. I am trying to run Neverwinter Nights 2, but even with the graphic settings turned all the way down I can't get the game to play smoothly, the CPU utilization is around 80% on one core, and doesn't seem to significantly impact the other, I've checked the affinity and it is running on both. I've found a program, Powerstrip, that will let me overclock the GPU, but I'm afraid to try that with an integrated component. The RAM usage is only at 60% when the game is playing. I managed to get the game to respond quicker when I increased the shared RAM in BIOS to 128 MB from 64MB, but BIOS won't let me increase it anymore. Does anyone know of a way to circumvent the BIOS to increase the shared memory?

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: Override BIOS to increase shared video memory
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Override BIOS to increase shared video memory
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
(NT) Probably not but by all means check with HP.
- Collapse -
Never going to happen.

If you hit up the technical documentation this is "hard wired" in the chips so you'll never see this happen. Feel free to keep asking though.

- Collapse -
Just so you know

Just so you know, the processor affinity in the task manager simply means that program/process CAN run on that CPU/core, it doesn't mean it will. A program has to be specifically written to be able to take advantage of multiple CPUs/cores.

Anyway, with so little RAM in your system, and on top of that having an integrated video chipset, you should just give up on the idea of trying to play games with that system. Unless it's something like StarCraft or another game from about 1995.

- Collapse -
2GB ram is now considered "litle"?

I guess 64GB is now plenty?

- Collapse -
For Vista, yes

For Vista, yes 2GB of RAM is "little". You think it's a coincidence that suddenly systems went from shipping with maybe 512MB of RAM to 3-6GB? OEMs are cheap, and they're generally going to only want to put in the bare minimum amount of RAM they can get away with, but at the same time they need to try and balance that against having to deal with potential lawsuits -- whether or not they'd end up getting dismissed pretty early on, it's bad publicity and they still have to pay a law firm to send someone to deal with it -- large volumes of tech support calls, and even system returns, due to very poor performance from a lack of RAM.

- Collapse -
USSENTERNCC1701E

Sorry but I pulled that reply. Feel free to politely refute others but names are not allowed.

About your issue. It's often when people try to play games on laptops that are not gaming laptops. If you can, start the return process under any acceptable pretense you can. GET YOUR MONEY BACK so you can try again.
Bob

- Collapse -
can someone please offer me constructive advice

I'm not looking for a gaming laptop, I'm just trying to get a little better performance, I've now got 3GB of RAM, and windows is using less than a third of it, I was hoping someone might be able to offer a way to tell Windows (the operating system that is controlling the allocation of all but 128 MB of my memory) to isolate even more RAM for video. I don't need anyone to tell what I already know about the function of an operating system, or to insult me for being a college student who doesn't have the room or the money for a custom built desktop. I'm just hoping, maybe, someone knows a way to control the memory allocation in windows, or knows of a software to do it.

- Collapse -
We have Vista performance discussions.

These are in our Vista forum. There is NO WAY to increase video ram so as soon as you exhaust yourself trying to get that done we can move on.

Why not re-use former discussions? My favorite trick for more video speed is to shut down AERO. There are too many other things we can turn off and I'd only be duplicating the existing discussions (again.)

As to the insult, I removed the post that was an insult. If I see another this discussion ends in a lock.
Bob

- Collapse -
Recap.

The OS does NOT set the video ram size. That's a chipset design issue. There will NEVER be a driver that will increase this. Again you are welcome to exhaust yourself with that.

"I've now got 3GB of RAM, and windows is using less than a third of it"

Just a tip I forgot in my first reply. Did you try the /3GB switch to let apps use more RAM? Hint? See google and type in VISTA /3GB

I don't duplicate what you can find.
Bob

- Collapse -
/3GB irrelevant

"The amount of missing RAM depends on the devices installed in the PC. But because of driver compatibility issues, the 32-bit versions of Vista limit available memory to 3.12 GB."

"Note this only applies to the 32-bit versions of Vista; the 64-bit versions of Vista can access between 8 and 128 GB of RAM."

http://www.devtopics.com/windows-vista-3gb-or-4gb-ram/

I have ultimate x64... does anyone bother to read what I post?

I know the OS doesn't set the video RAM size, by default. What I'm asking is, "is there a way?" The OS controls the allocation of RAM, is there a way to tweak to OS so that it will route video data to a select portion of RAM? Sort of like freezing the paging file size, I'm hoping for a way to prevent the computer from separating, unnecessarily, the data for video processing from everything else by letting vista use a large sum of RAM for just video, if it's data that needs processing, Vista will store it in RAM, but if it's for the GPU instead of the CPU, it will be transferred to a different area of RAM before it goes to the GPU, even though there is no dedicated Video RAM, Vista actually treats it like it is. If you don't know a way to do this, fine, I don't either, that's why I'm asking for help. I'm sorry if I wasting space on the forum, if you know another topic that has already addressed this, by all means, please post the link, I couldn't find it, that's why I started a new thread.

- Collapse -
Sorry.

I did miss that. At least you seem to be making some progress as to understanding that no driver will fix this.

""is there a way?""

No. Here's hoping you can move on and try other things. Then again some won't.
Bob

- Collapse -
BTW, Vista Ultimate 64 is no panacea.
- Collapse -
Did you ever get a real answer on this?

I have the same question and the replies on this thread are extraordinarily disjointed and unhelpful. My BIOS doesn't allow me to edit the video settings but I was hoping there would be one I could flash that would let me do it.

- Collapse -
Which question.

1. The video chipset in question is hardwired to just so much ram.

2. The /3GB switch may help eek more use by this version of Windows.

The disjointed answers are because a member went a little off track and the thread had to be moderated.
Bob

CNET Forums