Speakeasy forum

General discussion

Overlooked Navel anniversary

by duckman / May 2, 2007 12:05 AM PDT

Yesterday was the four year anniversary of the USS Abraham Lincoln?s historic 290 day cruise. The crew was extremely proud of this historic event and with that in itself a historic event, along having a superior officer visit the ship, that decided to show their pride with a banner that read ?Mission Accomplished?.

"When something of such high level is planned, such as the landing of the commander in chief on the ship," said Chun, "there are several planning meetings. At one of the meetings was the idea for a banner that said MISSION ACCOMPLISHED." The mission in this case, was the mission of the USS ABRAHAM LINCOLN. The men and women aboard the nuclear-powered carrier accomplished their mission and stayed out for a record time -- 290 days. It was a very long cruise for them. (Captain Conrad Chun 2nd Fleet Norfolk, VA, MEDIA OFFICE)

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Overlooked Navel anniversary
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Overlooked Navel anniversary
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
(NT) omphaloskepsis?
by JP Bill / May 2, 2007 12:13 AM PDT
Collapse -
(NT) nah..umbilicuswhatsits
by jonah jones / May 2, 2007 12:44 AM PDT
In reply to: omphaloskepsis?
Collapse -
Naval
by EdH / May 2, 2007 12:19 AM PDT

Too bad we can't edit here, as on the better forums.

Collapse -
RE: better forums
by JP Bill / May 2, 2007 1:44 AM PDT
In reply to: Naval

I applied to join a "better forum" (one that would allow me to edit my post)

Unfortunately, I was not accepted.

Naturally, I was devastated.

Couldn't sleep for weeks, went into rehab.

I'm almost over it now.

One of the worst experiences of my life.

Collapse -
Gee, that's a shame.
by EdH / May 2, 2007 2:06 AM PDT
In reply to: RE: better forums

But you know, some people have high standards.

Do you know why you were rejected?

Collapse -
RE: some people have high standards
by JP Bill / May 2, 2007 3:17 AM PDT
In reply to: Gee, that's a shame.

Yeah that's true.

And some have bad taste.

Do you know why you were rejected?

No they reject you and there is no explanation or discussion.

They were probably too good for me anyway.

Perhaps I shouldn't have brought it up, I'm starting to have the same feelings as when it first happened.

Collapse -
Maybe something wrong with your application form...
by EdH / May 2, 2007 4:37 AM PDT

Most places don't have them.

I hope you weren't too traumatized.

Collapse -
RE: traumatized.
by JP Bill / May 2, 2007 4:47 AM PDT

I called my "sponsor" to help me over this episode of bringing up old memories.

With your concern and his support I think I'll be OK.

Collapse -
(NT) Good luck with it.
by EdH / May 2, 2007 5:35 AM PDT
In reply to: RE: traumatized.
Collapse -
(NT) Should we reccomend Dr .M. Hallam?
by duckman / May 2, 2007 5:48 AM PDT
In reply to: Good luck with it.
Collapse -
Hang in there, JP!
by Angeline Booher / May 2, 2007 6:09 AM PDT
In reply to: RE: traumatized.

There are plenty of special interest forums out there. There are other members here who participate in them as well as here.

New members for those are recruited all of the time, even from the SE membership. As I recall, PauL C listed some a few months ago.

Angeline
Speakeasy Moderator
click here to email
semods4@yahoo.com

Collapse -
IMO, the edit feature is highly overrated
by jonah jones / May 2, 2007 2:50 AM PDT

it's OK for the occasional typo or grammatical error, but it'll never cover a too hastily exposed derriere

Wink

Collapse -
Well, that's your opinion...
by EdH / May 2, 2007 4:35 AM PDT

In my experience it is not only useful, it is indispensable. And MOST people DON'T use it to cover their butts. Only a very few.

Collapse -
RE :it is indispensable
by JP Bill / May 2, 2007 5:51 AM PDT

I'm here to help you

God grant me the serenity
to accept the things I cannot change;
courage to change the things I can;
and wisdom to know the difference.

Collapse -
Edited versiion
by JP Bill / May 2, 2007 6:01 AM PDT

grant me the serenity
to accept the things I cannot change;
courage to change the things I can;
and wisdom to know the difference.

It's just that easy

Collapse -
I thought it might have been intentional....
by Josh K / May 2, 2007 4:05 AM PDT

....maybe a story about the introduction of the bikini or something.

Happy

Collapse -
And now you know the rest of the story?
by grimgraphix / May 2, 2007 12:28 AM PDT

Is this from the same press office that handled the Pat Tillman story?

I am curious as to why this "account" of the reason for the mission accomplished banner has never been widely diseminated.

Collapse -
Also strange that the President
by JP Bill / May 2, 2007 12:32 AM PDT

never mentioned the "290 days at Sea" in his speech on the aircraft carrier.

Collapse -
That account was the one from day one
by duckman / May 2, 2007 4:47 AM PDT

"What (the president) said was that it was put up by the Navy, by people on board the ship and that was correct," his spokesman Scott McClellan said Wednesday.

"It was an idea that was suggested by those on the ship as a way to honor the sailors and crew on board the USS Lincoln for accomplishing their mission."

It doesn't fit YOUR agenda though

And of course the military ALWAYS lies

Collapse -
"of course the military ALWAYS lies"
by grimgraphix / May 2, 2007 2:08 PM PDT

Your words DM... no one else's. Never suggested by anyone but you.

BTW... Doing a google on the phrase...

"What (the president) said was that it was put up by the Navy, by people on board the ship and that was correct," his spokesman Scott McClellan said Wednesday.

"It was an idea that was suggested by those on the ship as a way to honor the sailors and crew on board the USS Lincoln for accomplishing their mission."

... produced this result... Web Results 1 - 10 of about 34 .

All I can say is WOW... 34 results.

You posted the quote as if it is so well known that there should never have been any question of why that banner was really up there. Question in my mind is why are you even bringing this up?

Collapse -
In your statement about Tillman
by duckman / May 2, 2007 9:22 PM PDT

you most certainly implied the lying bit. As to googling the quote? SO WHAT! You not believing the truth does not make it a lie.

Collapse -
Boy you rely on over the top hyperbole!
by grimgraphix / May 3, 2007 1:51 PM PDT

Who said "lie"?

Who said the military (as in the WHOLE military)?

Again, I question the whole reason for your posting about this subject to begin with. It is apparent you're just phishing... and can't even take the heat when someone points out the inconsistency of your comments... and the shaky foundation of the quotes you posted.

Look, bringing up the whole "mission accomplished" banner as if their is some contemporary significance is silly. The president has successfully ignored all previous references and it is far too late to suddenly come up with a "real" explanation for the gaffe. It is a non-issue. The prez will never live it down anymore than Kerry will live down his silence during the "swift boat" campaign.

Why you insist on bringing the whole matter up - out of the blue - is questionable at best.

Collapse -
There is ZERO
by duckman / May 3, 2007 9:01 PM PDT

inconsistency. would 42 billion links to the quote make you believe it?

Collapse -
I'm not questioning the quote...
by grimgraphix / May 4, 2007 1:30 AM PDT
In reply to: There is ZERO

... I'm questioning it's significance.

Even if it's true... the prez will forever be labeled the guy who jumped the gun announcing the war was won. The banner was just icing on a photo op that went bad with time (i.e.. future events proved the prez jumped the gun)... what ever the original reason for it being up there.

Will proving that a banner was up there for a different reason from what people think somehow change reality? Again, I will compare this to the swift boat attack ads. Kerry never responded and the failure to speak out hurt him. Bush never really accounted for the reason behind the banner because he didn't think it needed to be explained. It's the same thing as taking credit for a happy misunderstanding that made him look good... at the time.

Bottom line is the image is burned into the publics mind. The real story, what ever it is doesn't matter anymore.

Again... why bring it up? You're just phishing.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?