HolidayBuyer's Guide

Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Overlappinf Windows/Title Bar

by szn9rg / April 14, 2008 9:48 AM PDT

I am running Windows XP and until recently I was using Windows Internet Explorer 6. I've updated to IE 7 two weeks ago. I've experienced this problem with both versions of IE.
When I invoke IE, a window initally opens and shortly thereafter a second window appears to open on top of the first. This is most evident in the title bar. There is a letter "I" in front of the normal text to the left (AOL.com - Netscape - Windows Internet Explorer).Almost like the underlieing window's title bar starts with I. There is also a light blue bar that covers most of the minimize button. If I minimize and recall or maximize or drag any sides the window than corrects itself and looks OK. If a open a new window through IE the same issue appears again. THis hasn't been this way for ever. It appeared a month ago. Any ideas what is causing this. This is really starting to get annoying. Thanks in advance for all your suggestions. PS I have a screen dump which shows the issue but don't know how to attach.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Overlappinf Windows/Title Bar
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Overlappinf Windows/Title Bar
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
(NT) Try disabling all Add Ins. Aka "BHO"s
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 14, 2008 9:54 AM PDT
Collapse -
I agree with Bob.
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / April 14, 2008 6:31 PM PDT

Google will help define BHO and how to remove them.

If ever you want to show us an image you will need to host it at an image hosting site like ImageShack or Photobucket and then let us know the URL, (the web site address for that image).

Mark

Collapse -
The first step.
by Kees Bakker / April 14, 2008 7:02 PM PDT

In the Start>Run box type iexplore -extoff

That runs IE7 without 'extensions', in so called safe mode. If it doesn't happen then, in IE go to Tools>Manage Add-ons and one by one turn them off to find the culprit.

Please post your findings.

Kees

Collapse -
Problem Corrected
by szn9rg / April 15, 2008 11:45 AM PDT
In reply to: The first step.

I ran a program called IE title bar.bat and cleaned up using Ad-Aware 2007 and the problem went away. Not sure which one actually corrected problem. Thanks for everyone's help

Collapse -
(NT) Glad you got it sorted, and thanks for reporting back.
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / April 15, 2008 6:33 PM PDT
In reply to: Problem Corrected
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.