Computer Help forum

General discussion

Overheating Problems

by DeCans1105 / February 18, 2013 2:49 PM PST

My laptop starts to overheat for as soon as I turn it on. I don't have any programs running when I start up my computer and still it gets very hot very fast. Whenever I try to play a game It lags really badly and I was hoping someone could help me out.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Overheating Problems
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Overheating Problems
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Have you cleaned the vents?
by glb613 / February 18, 2013 7:58 PM PST
In reply to: Overheating Problems

Have you tried a cooling pad?

Collapse -
by pgc3 / February 19, 2013 12:09 AM PST

Might need to get a can of air and clean the dust bunnies from the system and check to make sure fan is functional. Notchy fans are not unusual and sometimes need to be replaced. There are other issues that could create overheating but start at dust build up and fan first.

Collapse -
Clean it out, check the HS fan to see if it's still secure
by VAPCMD / February 19, 2013 7:09 AM PST
In reply to: Heating
Collapse -
Still not working
by DeCans1105 / February 21, 2013 5:31 AM PST

I dismantled it and clean the fan and it worked fine for a few days but now the problem is back. The laptop itself doesn't seem to get very hot anymore but CoreTemp says that all of the cores are about 80 C. The fan still blows extremely loudly even when i'm only using 12% of the system.

Collapse -
No make or model.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 21, 2013 5:43 AM PST
In reply to: Still not working

But it's time to replace the heat sink compound. There are a few reasons to do that since along the way we'll be able to be sure the heat sink is mounted properly.

No make or model so we can't see if this is one of those models folk are reporting about.

Also, I take it that it's a new issue and not a new laptop.

Collapse -
I'm with next move would be to remove
by VAPCMD / February 21, 2013 9:10 AM PST

the CPU HS Fan, clean the surfaces and reapply thermal paste/compound.

If you system has a GPU....I'd check that too.

Collapse -
cooling paste dry ?
by skriver5 / February 22, 2013 2:02 PM PST

There are two things here to look after. Dust bunnies and dry cooling paste.

If you want to be informed about the actual inside temp. download a program like Speccy from Piriform. It is free, and will tell you system code, core temperatures, running hours on hdd, and so on.

You can try to blow away the dust with a can of compressed air. ( blow backward )
But if you are able to and have the courage to open the laptop, clean the cooling fan and - grill, and change cooling past and -pads. This will be the most efficient, and bring back earlier performance.
Silverpaste and 1 mm blue coolingpad materal is recomended.

Dust from blankets and other textiles are the reason for lots of PC problems. You will be surprised--

Kind regards Torben Skriver. Denmark

Collapse -
Overheating causes
by wippernm / February 22, 2013 12:39 PM PST

Some of the others were on the right path. Try and clean everywhere you can. Any vent with canned air. Take something like a wire tie and place the tip into the vent for the fan(s). If you find that the tip is hit, the fan is running. This may not tell you if the fan is not running correctly. Some main brand laptops have two fans, if one is not working, the laptop will overheat.

Using a cooling pad is not the best path. You have treated the symptoms but not the cause. If your handy and not afraid to check your computer, go on line and find the service manual for your model. Find out were the fan(s) are located and inspected them. I started working on laptops just last year. The only big difference is that all of the parts may not be replicable. Some are directly attached to the motherboard. In most cases and if you laptop is several years old, I would not recommend replacing the motherboard because technology had soared since you bought yours. You are paying a fair price for old technology. If your parts are replicable, and most fans are, I would invest in a fan(s) sooner rather than later. Heat is one of the BIGGEST killer of laptops. The other is dropping and damaging beyond repair.

You can find fans on Ebay and many online laptop parts stores. Sometimes they are new or may be removed from working computers. If you buy from Ebay, look at the approval rating from the store/seller and if they have a high rating, order the fan(s) you need. If you have one bad, I would replace both. Just think this way. The fans were the same age when installed. Unless you have abused your computer, the other may go out soon. By replacing both, you might not have to repeat this operation a second time.

Collapse -
Laptop Overheating Problem
by ghost7772 / February 22, 2013 8:32 PM PST

I recondition laptops, and overheating is one of the main reasons people go and buy new ones. Sometimes I think it's a built in problem.
However the problem is usually caused by the heat vents being clogged up, or the heat sink compound dries out and doesn't allow proper heat transference from the CPU to the heat sink. Then another problem is that the heat sink fan is bad.
I'd suggest that you go to your computer manufacturer's website , and find the service manual for your computer (which sometimes is the hardest part!) so you can find out how to dismantle your laptop, and then find a replacement fan/heat sink assembly for your laptop ( I usually find them on Ebay because you can find new ones directly from the factory on there) and some heat sink compound, and replace them. It's not very hard if you have the manual.
I hope that this helps
Good Luck.

Collapse -
Re: Overheat Problems
by codecutr / February 23, 2013 8:07 AM PST

Is the tablet heating up in specific areas? If so. search for a diagram of the major components in the tablet and try to identify the probable source of heat that way.
I turn off the wifi in my tablet unless I absolutely need it. Most of the time, I don't. My tablet stays cooler and I conserve battery power as well.

Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?