Auto Repair - Roadshow forum

General discussion

Overheating issues.. have you replaced a Jeep thermostat?...

by shawnlin / June 23, 2007 11:36 AM PDT

I'm having some overheating issues with my '94 Jeep (140K miles, straight-6, 4.0L). I know that, although I live in TX, it hasn't been this bad before. Although I'm probably going to get a new vehicle by the end of the year, I'll need to keep this one running until then...

The issue is either the thermostat (probably never replaced) or the fan (which may have run out of viscous fluid). I'm replacing the thermostat first, but I'm wondering:

Is is a necessity to drain the radiator first when replacing the thermostat? And...I've been told I may have 2 thermostats (some Jeeps are set-up like that) - how can I tell without taking my cooling system apart?

I'm not afraid to work on my Jeep, but I'd also like to prepare I'm ready to tackle some fixes. My Chilton/Haynes manual says it's gotta be done - it seems like a hassle to me, but based on the plumbing, I don't see away around that task.

Best,
Shalin

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Overheating issues.. have you replaced a Jeep thermostat?...
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Overheating issues.. have you replaced a Jeep thermostat?...
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
You are acting wisely.
by Andy77e / June 24, 2007 4:52 AM PDT

Very good to have the manuals and asking questions. More should do that.

You should not need to drain the coolant. Check to see where the thermostat is in relation to the top of your radiator. If the thermostat is lower than the radiator cap, then when you unbolt it, coolant will go everywhere, in which case it would be best to drain some coolant to prevent that.

That said... you might consider doing a coolant flush anyway depending on how long it's been since you changed your coolant.

Few questions: Have you determined it's not the water pump or cooling fan?

If you have a mechanical fan, you might see if you can see any fluid leaking from the fan clutch, and also spin it a few times with the engine off, to see how freely it spins and if it wobbles at all. If it does either, spin freely or wobbles, the clutch is bad, and at least part of the reason you are overheating.

If it's an electric fan, spin it while off, see if there's any resistance. Resistance is futile. *cough* Then see if the fan comes on when it should. First start the car and turn the AC on. The fan should always run when AC is on. Then with the AC off, see if it kicks on when the coolant gets hot. If not, you either have a bad fan, or fan relay, or coolant sensor. (there's normally 2 sensors, one that runs your coolant temp gauge, and one that turns the fan on)

Water pump is a bit harder. Remove the belt and see if the pulley has any play in it. Also check is water is leaking from it. Finely with the pulley on, remove the cap to your radiator, and start the engine. When it warms up, if the thermostat opens as it should, you should see coolant flow in the radiator. A PT cruiser I looked at, the water pump had worn away all the vains resulting in overheating. Coolant flow was almost non-existent at idle.

Mechanical fan clutches and water pumps wear out at nearly the same rate. If one is bad, the other is normally not far behind. If you do pull the thermostat off, you can check it pretty easy by putting it in a pan of water and boiling it. It should open pretty fast when it hits 190 degrees. (btw, do not replace a thermostat with anything less than 190 degree)

Collapse -
(NT) Thanks! I'll check on the fan too..
by shawnlin / June 25, 2007 8:50 AM PDT
In reply to: You are acting wisely.
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.