PC Hardware forum

General discussion

Overheating

I'm running Windows XP (but soon upgrading to Vista), I have a 500W Enermaz Liberty ELT500AWT ATX12V PSU and I am about to buy either an XFX GeForce 7900GS or a Foxconn GeForce 7950GT I will not be overclocking either, do I have to worry about my machine overheating with either option. I know nothing about installing case fans or heatsinks so I'd really don't want to deal with them. I'm just worried that after installing the GPU it will overheat the system.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Overheating
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Overheating
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Not possible to comment on overheating when you

In reply to: Overheating

don't provide more info re your system configuration.

CPU .......AMD - Intel ? Which Model ?
HDDs.......1 ? 2 ? 3 ?
CD-DVDs....1 ? 2 ?
RAM........1GB ? 2GB ?
FANs.......2 ? 3 ? 4 ?
PCI cards

VAPCMD

Collapse -
I've got

In reply to: Not possible to comment on overheating when you

It's an HP Pavilion a1650y
2GB's of RAM
1 Hard Drive (80 gigs)
1 DVD-RW drive
a PCI card
And I think one fan (2 if you count the one on the PSU)

Collapse -
I suggest...

In reply to: I've got

You have a basic OEM type system, so I suggest if you can install one, a "buss type" fan to better exhaust the system case. Make sure the wiring&harnesses are routed to allow better airflow throughout the case. When you get or before you get the new gpu, check its requirements. You can visit their support website and see what they suggest for power demands. Many new gpu video cards want at least 350W, but that's a stable 350W PSU. In other words a cheap PSU may have a decal with ???Watts, but is that stable and for how long once you get real power demands on a "constant basis". Your current 500W PSU suggests it can take it, but in the real world, I usually use this rule of thumb, whatever the wattage, only 75% can be depended upon, that would be cutting it close with your current PSU. I would try though, but if you get any weird problems, then get a newer PSU of a higher wattage rating and of course, a namebrand as well.

tada -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
Actually

In reply to: I suggest...

It is 80% efficient (is that were you're getting the 75% from?)Also because of the PSU would you recommend the 7900 GS over the 7950 GT? And lastly I have no idea how to do any of the case fan thing you were talking about, can you recommend a website that I can get information on choosing the right one and installing it? Thanks.

Collapse -
The legwork

In reply to: Actually

I said, "my rule of thumb is 75%" regardless of the 80% you got stated somewhere. My rule is more conservative but applies quite well with about any PSU out there and be safe. I didn't offer what gpu to get, but did state you visit thier support website and get the "facts" that way you can determine what it *really needs*, no guesswork, its stated by them via the specs. A buss fan is any fan that works directly from a slot, as the slots are also busses or the whole slot segment is the buss. Find or google for vendors of fans and/or cooling devices, they'll carry many different cooling options. I made some suggestions, I hope you're willing to carry out the homework, as cooling gets into many phases of options.

tada -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
You'll be fine...just make sure you have enough fans to

In reply to: I've got

intake cool air and expel the hot air out the back or top.

VAPCMD

Collapse -
(NT) But I don't know how to put the fans in. Is 1 fan enough?

In reply to: You'll be fine...just make sure you have enough fans to

Collapse -
Next time you're inside the case...look and see where the

In reply to: But I don't know how to put the fans in. Is 1 fan enough?

fans or fan mounts are located. They're typically 80mm with some 120mm and they're not expensive...usually the better fans are a little more expensive, quieter and have ball bearings...some have speed control too ...temp or dial your own.

VAPCMD

Collapse -
Should I replace the ones

In reply to: Next time you're inside the case...look and see where the

that are there or should I add more, and if so is there a good website that shows how to install them. I checked google but none were all that good.

Collapse -
I'd note the sizes and locations of any existing fans and

In reply to: Should I replace the ones

monitor the TEMPS. If thety're high...then I'd look for higher CFM fans to replace them.

VAPCMD

Collapse -
The fans I have are

In reply to: I'd note the sizes and locations of any existing fans and

one directly under the PSU blowing out, and one on the PSU blowing down. There is also a little fan, I think it's on the processor or the motherboard.

Collapse -
My little brother picked up a neat little card for his empty

pci slot. It didn't do anything except power two perpendicular faced fans.

Collapse -
Cool

In reply to: My little brother picked up a neat little card for his empty

That would be great but I don't have an empty PCI slot. Is there a program anyone can recommend to monitor the temperature of the PC.

Collapse -
Found this at pcnineoneone.com in system utilities

In reply to: Cool

Collapse -
One more question

Since I've installed my PSU (2 days ago) i get a static shock when I touch the metal casing of the fan (not the fan on the PSU but the one under it) should I worry about this, does this mean I did something wrong when installing it. Once I touch the case it doesn't shock me the next time I touch it only if I touch it later.

Collapse -
Well everything should be grounded

In reply to: One more question

If it isn't, that statics going to find its way some place less delicate. See if you can ground it.

Collapse -
Yeah

In reply to: Well everything should be grounded

I think it fixed itself it hasn't done it yet today so hopefully every thing's good.
I was thinking of getting something like this
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16835185027
Would this be difficult to install, and exactly were does it get installed. If this is not a good option (the price seems a little high) the can you recommend a different one.

Collapse -
Thats a heatsink

In reply to: Yeah

Thats why its so expensive. Heatsinks are for CPUs. Usually when you buy these motherboards and CPUs? Like the website at tiger direct they have "may we recommend" section, so you know you're getting the right one.

For PSU (power supply unit) cooling, which is what I thought you were talking about, you can open up the case of the PSU and replace the individual fans for about 1.50.

You need a heatsink fan. You can't run your new processor without one or you'll ruin it. But you need one that fits. Maybe go to the tigerdirect website? And type in your speed and make of your CPU like you're going to buy one. And then see what the recommended heatsink is.

Also remember whenever you do work on your computer. Even just putting in a new card. You have to have all that static discharge discharged. Touching your metal case will ground you. And your computer holds a reserve charge that, if you open up the case (after its unplugged) you should first hold in your power button for 3 seconds to discharge the reserve. Static electricity also disperses if you have a damp rag around. If you tough a damp rag the electricity will cancel itself out. Don't get the inside of your computer wet though.

The motherboard and PSU, they all use the metal case for grounding. If theres a static discharge somewhere you should make sure everything is properly screwed to the case so it can ground.

I hope everything works out for you. Just take your time and make sure everythings done right and you'll have yourself a great system.

Collapse -
I am talking about a case fan, I just wasn't sure what I

In reply to: Thats a heatsink

needed. I don't know what fan I currently have (I will check when I open the case to install the GPU.) So I really don't know what would be good to replace it in.

Also while running games on my current card (GeForce 7350 LE ) the temperature is around 53C, On a website I saw that 70C is dangerous. So with my new card (Foxconn GeForce 7950GT which comes OC) do you think it will be raised more than 20C if I do not install a fan.

Collapse -
I had a PSU

In reply to: I am talking about a case fan, I just wasn't sure what I

with a noisey fan in it and I replaced it by just buying the fan at radio shack for about 1.50.

There's other options too you know. But 50 some degrees doesn't seem that hot compared to others. One card I read about operates at 64. Thats why some of those new gaming systems got liquid cooling systems.

Collapse -
Not likely that HS Fan would even fit in an HP box

In reply to: Yeah

Collapse -
(NT) Thanks for the recommendations.

In reply to: Not likely that HS Fan would even fit in an HP box

Collapse -
Ok I got and installed my GeForce 7950 GT

In reply to: Thanks for the recommendations.

and it is amazing! I also download speedfan to monitor temperatures. It lists four temperatures and they idol at Temp1:30C Temp2:41C Temp3:-128C and HD0:26C. When playing games they have maxed out at Temp1:34C Temp2:53C I don't remember the other two but they didn't jump much. Is this a good range for a Pentium 4 3.06ghz?

Second question I tries to download drivers from Nvidia's website (at this link http://www.nvidia.com/object/winxp_2k_mobile_84.63.html) and when I tried to install them it said I have no hardware to support these drivers, now keep in mind I am having no problems with the current drivers I just though I should get the current ones. Is it worth trying to get the new drivers in this situation?

Collapse -
About that no hardware message.

In reply to: Ok I got and installed my GeForce 7950 GT

A recent discussion cleared right up after the member installed the latest motherboard drivers for their system.

Bob

Collapse -
about the temperatures

In reply to: Ok I got and installed my GeForce 7950 GT

If Temp1 is system and Temp2 is CPU, then those temps look good for a P4, especially for a Prescott core.

Collapse -

In reply to: about the temperatures

Temp 1 actually rose to 36C earlier, is that still okay. What temperatures should I be worried about.

Collapse -
still good temps

In reply to: .

System temp is lower than CPU temp. Worry about CPU temp first--for that CPU, good cooling means it should be below about 60

Collapse -
I haven't really tried it under a full load

In reply to: still good temps

I've only played Knights of the Old Republic 2 with everything maxed out. I will try Half-Life 2 later. If I find it gets over 60C what kind of fan do I need to install.

Collapse -
If I find "it" ...what's 'it' ?

In reply to: I haven't really tried it under a full load

"If I find it gets over 60C what kind of fan do I need to install."

Collapse -

In reply to: If I find "it" ...what's 'it' ?

Umm, the temperature.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.