Computer Help forum

General discussion

Overheat

My cousin owns a Compaq Presario sr1707al. I just installed a nVidia GeForce 8400GS on his computer. He needs to keep the case open or the computer will BSOD. I've tried increasing fan speed and underclocking, but neither seems to work. Is the Graphics card defective? Have any of you had this problem? His OS Windows XP Professional SP2. All drivers are up to date.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Overheat
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Overheat
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Overheat Compaq Presario sr1707al case mod

In reply to: Overheat

Remove the CPU tunnel and reverse the rear case fan to blow out.

Add an 80 mm case fan on inside front of
case blowing in.

This should take care of the heat issue.

Luck

Bill

Collapse -
Basically

Basically, HP/Compaq systems are designed to look pretty, not be functional, which includes proper cooling. Things are designed to be as cheap as possible while being adequate for the stock hardware. Throw in a high end video card, and the heat it produces will quickly overwhelm the system.

It doesn't matter if you increase the fan speed if there's nowhere for all that heat to go. You need air to be circulating throughout the case. Fresh cool air coming in, warm air going out. Ideally there will be at least two fans, and the fan that is physically lowest to the ground will be pulling air in, while the fan highest up on the fan will be blowing air out, to take advantage of the fact that warm air is less dense than cool air, and will thus rise. So you're pulling in the coolest of the air from close to the ground, and blowing out the rising warm air.

Don't be afraid to cut your own hole in the case for a second fan if necessary.

Also, you really should have your cousin update his system to SP3. Any security related updates such as service packs should be considered mandatory.

Collapse -
Overheating, vid card, etc

You really need to upgrade the power supply, that IS the major problem. The power supply used in basic computers is insufficient to many tasks. Compaq an HP computers typically use between a 175w and 250w PEAK supplies, not enough to support much. The supply is being over taxed, this will create overheating. Get at least a 350w supply and retrofit, your problem will be resolved.

Collapse -
I'm sorry, but WHAT?

In reply to: Overheating, vid card, etc

I'm sorry, but WHAT? According to the laws of thermodynamics, heat is the final form of all types of energy. So, short of some loophole in the laws of physics, how does NOT having enough power translate into excess heat? The PSU can only draw in so much power, and then pump out so much power. So, short of doing something very dangerous with the wiring inside a power supply, or a fluke power spike coming down the line, it should produce a pretty constant amount of heat. It's not like a car engine or something when you're towing something, there are no moving parts in a power supply, and you're not having to contend with inertia and gravity... At least not in the same sense.

I don't mean to be too insensitive here, but unless you left out some critical detail, nothing you said makes even the remotest bit of sense. So better I take you to task for it, some anonymous guy on a message board where you're also anonymous, as opposed to making a fool of yourself at work or in front of a bunch of friends who will never let you live it down.

Collapse -
Improvements

The added video card became another "heat source" and tipped the cooling balance. It also provided airflow blockage as well. You need to exhaust the heat build-up as best you can. Add any fan(s) that can be mounted, if a blank spot is available otherwise, use a "slot fan" that can be mounted in buss slot to help exhaust. Mod the case, to install fan on the case side to exhaust. Add a bigger fan if possible. Replacing the current PSU with one a "dual fan" setup may provide either greater airflow and/or exhaust, depending on its make-up. Look at http://www.geeks.com and seek what's available plus others, just google for "cooling solutions or fans" as key words.

tada -----Willy Happy

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

REVIEW

Sublime suburban chariot

High on style and technology, the 2019 Volvo XC90 is an incredibly satisfying everyday crossover.