PC Hardware forum

General discussion

Overclocking Help Needed

Hi,
I have overclocked my CPU, but I can only do that in my BIOS screen. I have heard of people overclocking Video cards and even RAM but does anybody have any favorite OC programs?

I am looking to overclock:
Intel P4 530 LGA775 processor(3GHz)
BFG Tech (nVidia) GeForce 4 Ti 4600 Graphics Card
and
512mb Wintec PC2700 (333MHz) RAM

-Thanks-

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Overclocking Help Needed
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Overclocking Help Needed
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
alright

In reply to: Overclocking Help Needed

yeah thats a real hard question. THERE ARE NO PROGRAMS TO OVERCLOCK YOUR CPU. yes its done in the bios, the ram timings are done in the bios, the video card, this is the third post that asked that. we posted links and our favorites.

its called use the search bar.

Collapse -
ok look

In reply to: alright

First of all you have no right to get angry with me. I have never delved into the aspect of Overclocking before so this is new to me. Sorry for trying to learn something new! By the way, there are a few programs like the Intel Desktop Board Controller and the nVidia System Utility. I have used search engines and nothing is making all that much sense to me, so in effect unless you have something helpful to say, tell me, otherwise in no way are you forced to reply to this post in a disparaging way (given you understand what the word "disparaging" means). Happy

Collapse -
pff

In reply to: ok look

DO YOU KNOW HOW MANY PEOPLE HAVE POSTED THIS SAME QUESTION IN THIS FORUM?

USE CNET'S SEARCH BAR.

mean? i am trying to help you otherwise i wouldnt reply.
yeah i post a link to programs that overclock in the OTHER thread that asked this SAME question.

(given you understand what the word "disparaging" means

what the hell do i care what that means? sounds like a nerd uses that word.

konny

Collapse -
o and btw

In reply to: pff

to help ease any anger sent to you by the last post, oc your graphics card would make NO difference. just buy a new one. you have a powerful cpu and good mobo. just buy a new pcie card

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Nice post Jonah, Thanx.

In reply to: try here

Collapse -
I hope that Jonah's link helped.

It is very possible that the overclocking that you already did was to increase the RAM speed. And if you have an Intel made mobo, it is very likely to not really support overclocking. [I'm not talking about a non-Intel mobo with an Intel chipset, many of those DO support some form of overclocking.

I saw nothing wrong with you posting such a question, so stick around the forums.

Collapse -
Thank you

In reply to: I hope that Jonah's link helped.

Thank you Ray for being so nice. I will certainly stay with the forums. Thank you too Jonah for giving me such an informative link. My Motherboard is made by ECS and I just found out that the overclocking was for CPU speed but I think I also found a way to OC my RAM which will also affect system bus (learned that from the link:) )!

Thanks again Ray, Jonah, and anyone else who joins this post.

Collapse -
RAM is overclocked in the BIOS also

if you've raised your front side bus, you've overclocked your RAM

one thing you need to know is that when overclocking voltage should be raised accordingly, for both RAM and CPU

never raise the AGP voltage

the video card can be overclocked with Coolbits2 (nVidia) or ATI Tool (ATI)

Collapse -
RE:

In reply to: RAM is overclocked in the BIOS also

Does the same go for PCI-e video cards?

in BIOS it says ''CPU speed'' and it is the same as the RAM MHz - i can put it on auto or manual and your saying that if I raise it will raise the FSB speed and OC the RAM, right? how far is too far voltage wise?

last question is - if i want a FSB of 800mhz (Hyper threading) do i need DDR2 800 memory (which my MB doesn't support)?

Collapse -
ugh, DDR2

In reply to: RE:

this is one of the few things where I can do nothing but hang my head and say simply, i don't know

I can tell you a few things:

A) a PCIE video card overclocks identical to an AGP card (in terms of how it's done, a PCIE X800XL may do better than an AGP X800XL just because it's a different GPU (you could have 2 identical AGP cards, one won't OC 10MHZ and another gives you 150MHZ)

B) when overclocking the video card, please consider the following, ideally the RAM is twice the core clock (on most cards, on some cards such as an FX 5900XT however this is not the case, just look when your OC'ing (with Coolbits2 for your GeForce4 Ti) if it's running with the core speed at 50% of the RAM speed, try to keep that ratio)

C) only go up 5MHZ at a time, if core starts at 325, goto 330, then try 335, and so on
you have to hit test settings wtih Coolbits2 each time, and hit apply each time it passes, if you don't hit apply it won't put the OC at your desired level

D) raise the RAM accordingly

as for volts
don't go far from stock
i'd suggest leaving the RAM at stock voltage (just leave it's voltage alone)

as for the CPU
leave it be as well

in addition
noone has bothered to tell this guy he doesn't have a PCIE slot...

if your using a GeForce4 Ti 4600, you have AGP

Collapse -
Yes I do

In reply to: ugh, DDR2

On my motherboard there are:
2 PCI slots
1 AGP slot
2 PCI-e X1 slots
and
1 PCI-e X16 slot (graphics)

www.ecsusa.com -> products -> 775 -> 915P-A 1.1

Collapse -
You have an Intel CPU, and therefore

In reply to: RE:

a chipset that supports it. What chipset do you have??

Intel gets the 800 MHZ FSB by what they call "Quad Clocking", mostly with PC3200. It is somewhat confusing because with some of the Intel chipsets they still give the 800 MHz FSB using PC2700. The confusing issue is that they still clock the memory at its native clock rate.

Here's a link to the Intel data on your CPU. Numerous documentation that you can get to from there to download all types of info.

http://developer.intel.com/design/pentium4/datashts/302351.htm

I know that with the Intel 875p chipset they still run the 800 MHz FSB when using PC2700 memory. They are still running the memory at its normal speed. However, the memory bandwidth is less when using PC2700 than with PC3200. In order to get the maximum bandwidth that a P$ can use, you must use PC3200 AND be in Dual Channel mode.

Whether or not the Gforce allows the 800 MHz FSB with PC2700, I can't be sure.

Just seems that if you are an overclocker, you should also be running Dual Channel.

Collapse -
I have 915

In reply to: You have an Intel CPU, and therefore

My Motherboard is made by ECS and is a 915P-A chipset (LGA 775)
Link:
http://www.ecsusa.com/products/915p-a.html

I haven't heard of Dual channel except in DDR2, i think you need PC3200 RAM or higher to run Hyper Threading most effectively as the cards run at 400MHz and HT is really just two 400MHz bands right? Anyways looks like I'll be buying RAM soon.

Collapse -
Clearly in plain English

In reply to: I have 915

in the link you gave, the mobo supports Dual Channel. an entire separate block dedicated to it. Also saya clearly that one can use either DDR or DDR2 for Dual Channel.

Collapse -
Hyper threading is actually two

In reply to: I have 915

processes running inside the CPU at the same time. Primary difference between that and DUAL CORE is that HT shares some of the various registers and things between the two processes, while with dual core each process has a complete set of registers and othe internal support functions.

There are articles for which type of use that HT helps and those where its best to turn it off. I don't bother to remember which is which because I do so little with may computers.

Collapse -
I really would like to know how

In reply to: RAM is overclocked in the BIOS also

you O'clocked the CPU. Those CPU's have the multiplier top locked, so you can't overclock by using the multiplier [the CPU simply ignores any mobo multiplier setting].

Also since the 800 MSB clocking is not simply a multiple of the memory bus clock, it seems that all you can do with the Intel CPU is clock the memory faster and possibly get a little better memory bandwidth. How one would measure this improvement, I know not.

Use Ozos as your refernece for other info.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.