PC Hardware forum

General discussion

Overclocking a BFG

by hshagel08 / March 3, 2006 10:40 AM PST

I have a BFG GeForce 6200 (AGP) and it says it's overclocked, but http://www.digital-daily.com/video/peredelki/ says a GF6200 can be overclocked to 700mhz core clock.After looking at 6200's overclocking capabilities at various web cites I found a program, Riva Tuner(To download it just google it and you will find it fairly quickly), is said to overclock this card to the core clock speeds of a GF 6600. If used this program would I fry the graphics card, overheat the PC, Drastically decrease the shelflife of the video card, I've heard that's it's risky to overclock
My system info is if it is any help...

Intel P4 2.66ghz HT
512 Kingston PC3200 Ram
AGP 8x BFG GeForce 6200OC
300Watt power supply
1 40gb ATA HD
Win 98 OS

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Overclocking a BFG
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Overclocking a BFG
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Hm...
by ikjadoon / March 3, 2006 10:50 AM PST
In reply to: Overclocking a BFG

I hope you know that OC'ing will void that beatiful lifetime warranty. That PSU might not be able to handle it. If you OC too much, it might fry the card. It will cause your heat to go up. If you do overclock, I would make sure that other parts, especially the GPU, have great cooling. I've heard "rumours" about reducing the shelf-life of products, but I don't have solid evidence. What games are you playing that you want more FPS in? It'd be a better investment to get another 512 of memory, or upgrade the CPU, or even a bigger hard drive. Just my $.02.

~Ibrahim~

Collapse -
I'm playing BF Vietnam maybe Far Cry
by hshagel08 / March 4, 2006 3:22 AM PST
In reply to: Hm...

I'm getting around 20 frames per second on BF Vietnam and I might get Far Cry soon. If I get it I'll want to run all the highest graphics settings. How mich will adding 512 Ram increase my frame rates?

Collapse -
A load
by ikjadoon / March 4, 2006 6:45 AM PST

When you add another 512, frames will go up, way up. I don't want to be a party pooper, but Far Cry on highest settings taxes even the fastest cards out there. You'd have to get at least a 6800 to play most settings on high, sorry. I'm not trying to be mean, kind of the truth.

http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,1697,1830196,00.asp

"...It's hard to believe, but Far Cry shows that we still have plenty of need for more powerful graphics cards..." And that doesn't even have the fastest card listed. Sorry...

http://www.tweaktown.com/articles/726/3/geforce_6200_page_3_the_card_and_overclocking/index.html

"...When it came to overclocking, the 6200 reference card was not the best overclocking unit in the world. We managed to get from 300MHz default core to 332 MHz using the stock cooler. Memory was somewhat of a disappointment, at 275MHz or 550MHz DDR we only managed to push it to 300MHz (or 600MHz DDR) which is not the best in the world let me assure you..."

If you really want to get a performance boost and want to take some risk, try it. But remember, your card might not OC that much. I would try this, but remember the warranty: Get the temps on the card, OC the card very slowly. But if you want a bit of a bigger boost, flash it the way your site says. I'm not the best to comment on what effects that could cause, but the performance would be greater if you unlocked the pipes as well.

Just my $.02

~Ibrahim~

Collapse -
On a totally unrelated point
by ikjadoon / March 4, 2006 6:47 AM PST
In reply to: A load

I used to play BFV, a great game. Shame most ppl have stopped playing, my new (actually old) computer doesn't even have an open PCI slot for a GPU, lol. Have fun! Also, what game settings are you playing the game at?

~Ibrahim~

Collapse -
Highest everything
by hshagel08 / March 4, 2006 3:00 PM PST

I'm getting 20-40 frames per second on it. It'll lag sometimes

Collapse -
And what
by ikjadoon / March 5, 2006 4:05 AM PST
In reply to: Highest everything

resolution? It is a little old game, though. Do you AA/AF turned on?

~Ibrahim~

Collapse -
I don't know about AA
by hshagel08 / March 5, 2006 4:42 AM PST
In reply to: And what

Res. is 1024x768

Collapse -
Coolbits..
by jrmar07 / March 5, 2006 2:10 AM PST
In reply to: Overclocking a BFG

You can OC using this. I have a 5700LE OC'ed to over 100MHz from stock core and mem.

o unlock Coolbits:
1. Open the Start\Run dialog box, and type ?Regedit? and hit OK
2.Browse to:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\NVIDIACorporation\Global\NvTweak\
3.Then right click and go to ?New? and choose DWORD Value
4. Rename the DWORD value the comes up to ?CoolBits?(without quotes)
5. Right click on it to Modify it
6. And then change the value to 3 and the base to Decimal

Once you do this, go back to your nVidia control panel. You should see some new options. One of these options is ?Clock Frequency Settings?. Select this, click ?Manual overclocking? and then hit ?Detect Optimal Frequencies?. I?ve found this to be fairly reliable. However use this at your own discretion. Keep on eye on temperatures in your case.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!