Laptops forum

General discussion

Overall Quality in Brand: Sony or Dell?

by akillian24 / April 28, 2005 3:29 AM PDT

In my continued research, I (depending on screen size, speed, etc) could go with either the Dell 6000, the 9300 or the Sony A270. Without ever owning either of the two in a notebook - which company offers the more reliable, sturdy, 'supriseless' product?

Secondly - any reccomendations on the significance of impact between a 433MHz vs a 500MHz? A Non-Issue?

Thanks for any advice!!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Overall Quality in Brand: Sony or Dell?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Overall Quality in Brand: Sony or Dell?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I recuse myself on quality
by Ryan T / April 28, 2005 5:25 AM PDT

I've seen lots of problems with Sony computers firsthand, but I've only heard the Dell Horror Stories. I have a dell and love it. So I won't comment on the quality of the two brands. That's like starting a Ford vs. Chevy debate.

I will however tell you that the difference between Front Side Bus speeds is VERY significant.

Collapse -
Thanks for the info on speed
by akillian24 / April 28, 2005 12:15 PM PDT

That was really helpful - The Dell actually had 500Mhz vs the Sony at 433Mhz, which was a mere difference of a 730 M from a 725 M processor. Thanks! Sony has the *big beautiful screen* that is luring me in like bait....

Collapse -
Sony always looks good
by Ryan T / April 28, 2005 12:27 PM PDT

And sony will always give you the extra features that Dell misses out. But the Dell has adopted the Sonoma very nicely . . . ultimately it's up to you but there's a trade-off.

Or, you could go with a 64-bit notebook . . . those seem to be the way of the future (sorry Bob I had to beat you to saying it. Wink )

Collapse -
64 bit?
by akillian24 / May 2, 2005 12:56 AM PDT
In reply to: Sony always looks good

We are still open to suggestions! My husband has Sony desktops, a Dell notebook through work and I have an HP Notebook (the one I am looking to replace). What is the 64-bit? I'd like to look into it!

Collapse -
sony is expensive
by keybordp / May 2, 2005 3:30 AM PDT
In reply to: 64 bit?

sony computers are really expensive. I guess they go hard core on the firewire ports ect. They are probably great for media, video editing ect, but they sure are pricey, and most people don't need all that stuff.

Collapse -
They're Both Evil
by Exaltare / May 2, 2005 6:44 PM PDT
In reply to: sony is expensive

Sony is fashionable but horrendously overpriced. On the other hand, my technical support experiences with Dell have left me to conclude that their machines are shoddy and volatile. Every instance of hardware failure last semester was Dell-related. I've also dealt with some completely asinine and complicated issues with their hardware. Perhaps the most frustrating issue was when I was required to reconfigure a Dell desktop's CD-RW drives to burn - they weren't configured to do so by default and the drivers for both drives were unavailable.

I am willing to concede at least partially that their increased commercial presence may account for their increased need for repairs. However, I am fairly confident that, even compensating for their numbers, Dell computers are a little lacklustre.

Collapse -
Oh, but Dell LCDs are fairly decent
by Exaltare / May 2, 2005 6:45 PM PDT
In reply to: They're Both Evil

They're not horribly expensive either.

Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?