except for the one file you can rescue that file using either a Linux Live CD or a tool such as AVG Rescue CD which can not only scan for viruses that may be hidden when the OS is booted but also has a File Manager that allows you to browse for files and copy them to USB storage - http://www.avg.com/us-en/avg-rescue-cd
You could also use the tool at the following link to create a bootable Windows XP recovery concole boot disk -
This link should then help you perform the system recovery to get your laptop back to factory condition. It shows how to do this from within XP (which will not help you), during startup (real nice if you can't find the disks you created), or from the recovery media -
Well, I'm pretty sure I have an OS problem, but I'm asking three questions
in here that are somewhat related. I'll go through what the issues are.
(Also, I'm using Windows XP and a Compaq laptop)It started with
I let my computer sit for a while and when I came back to it, the bar
that holds the start menu and shows what programs are running, isn't the
XP look, it's the old, tan, box kind.
2) At the same time, the
light that shows that my wireless internet is connected is off and I
can't turn it back on or connect to the internet until I restart my
3) When I go into any browser (whether it be Firefox,
Internet Explorer, Google Chrome, etc.) I can go to any website. HOWEVER
when I try to use a search engine (Google, Bing, Yahoo, MSN), my
browser crashes. This includes search engine related functions, as well,
such as Google Reader but NOT search engine hosted email OR
4) My audio does not work. Not on the internet, or on iTunes, however, it did make a sound for shutting my computer off
I've run two full scans on Malwarebytes and two full scans on Trend
Micro Internet Security. Restarted my computer after each one, and this
problem was not fixed. I also did the things that this forum
the DOS commands did not fix it, and it did not prompt for OS disks.
Started my browsers in Safe Mode did not fix these problems, either.
Today, my computer completely froze and I held down the power button to
turn it off. When I went to turn it back on, it went through the
motions of starting up, but stopped and gave me this message:
"Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt :
7) I tried to go into Safe Mode and I got to selecting which Safe Mode I wanted. I selected "Safe Mode with Networking" and it almost got there, but gave me #6 message again. Now, I can't even get THAT far and it says something along the lines of a disk error, press Ctrl+Alt+Del to reboot. When I do, it leads me back to the same message.
Now. Those are the issues. My questions are:
1) Does anybody know how to fix this? Will I have to find the OS disks and reformat?
2) I'm an artist and I have all of my work backed up onto a flash drive EXCEPT one file that I worked on last night. Is there anyway I can retrieve this file with my computer in the state it's in now? If I insert the OS disks, will I be able to start up my computer WITHOUT reformatting and retrieve this file?
3) I used F8 to attempt to get into Safe Mode. Is there any other way to get into Safe Mode?