Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

Question

Over Zealous Avast????

by archdak / February 21, 2015 12:22 AM PST

Hi

I am trying to download two programs called Odin 3.09 and a Samsung firmware setup. Both are in the form of a .zip file.

Avast will not let me do it. It says that they are viruses but I am sure that they are safe.

In the popup screen that Avast throws up to tell me that they are viruses, I have clicked on the line that says words to the effect to ignore the scan on these but to no avail.

How do I sort this to allow the programmes to be downloaded.

I am using the latest up to date version of Avast free

Any help would be appreciated.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Over Zealous Avast????
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Over Zealous Avast????
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Are you using
by itsdigger / February 21, 2015 12:34 AM PST
In reply to: Over Zealous Avast????

Avast online security with Internet explorer?
It stops you from doing a lot of stuff

Digger

Collapse -
Answer
True. Are you finding?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 21, 2015 12:59 AM PST

Are you finding that folk expect security suites to stop everything? That is pretty easy to say that we the OS and suites go all "Nanny" protectionish then good and bad will be blocked.
Bob

Collapse -
Not very helpful
by archdak / February 21, 2015 1:17 AM PST
In reply to: True. Are you finding?

Hi guys

Both replies don't answer the question I asked. Do you know or not??

Collapse -
Yes, I know.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 21, 2015 1:21 AM PST
In reply to: Not very helpful

Because everyday folk want these suites to stop all bad things then there are going to be and continue to be items that will be blocked that you will have to make a decision on.

If you think this protection was over reaching, have you ever owned/used a Microsoft Surface RT? You would be screaming about this over protective model. As you can tell, folk didn't buy them.
Bob

Collapse -
I told you
by itsdigger / February 21, 2015 1:30 AM PST
In reply to: Not very helpful

the experience I had with Avast online security and IE.
Figure it out.
Digger

Collapse -
Answer
Turn off Avast while you do the download
by elwoody / February 21, 2015 4:27 AM PST

Turn off the Avast module that is blocking you, or turn off Avast completely during the download. Make sure nothing else is using the network while you do it. Then turn it on again.

Collapse -
Answer
Turn off Avast while you do the download...
by elwoody / February 21, 2015 4:29 AM PST

Turn off the Avast module that is blocking you, or turn off Avast completely during the download. Make sure nothing else is using the network while you do it. Then turn it on again.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.