HolidayBuyer's Guide

Computer Help forum

Question

Outside Case Test Help

by Trapacity / October 29, 2013 11:23 AM PDT

Building my first rig and I'm using the newegg video to hel me through it. I'm testing the mobo/cpu/stock cooler/video card outside the case and the mobo seems to run fine, the number pops up and there are a couple lights near it, as well as the fans from my video card spin. There is no video output (no bios) nor is the cpu fan running. I know some bios cannot run without the cpu fan on.

I've already replaced my psu and mobo (just got it in today) so for god's sake don't tell me there may be something wrong or i've messed up the cpu.

I'm a first time builder, and if you need some more specs just ask.

CPU: i7-4770k
Mobo: ASRock X-87 Extreme 4

Appreciations in advance.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Outside Case Test Help
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Outside Case Test Help
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Sorry to say
by Jimmy Greystone / October 29, 2013 12:31 PM PDT
In reply to: Outside Case Test Help

Sorry to say, but modern CPUs can fry in a matter of seconds if the CPU fan isn't running. So unless you shut the unit off almost immediately after seeing that the CPU fan wasn't running, there's an excellent chance you're looking at a dead CPU now.

Not sure why you're testing things outside the case anyway. There's very little to be gained from that. What you want to do is what's called a bare minimum configuration, which is more or less exactly what it sounds like. It's the minimum number of components necessary for the unit to POST. From there you start adding more and more components in. Electronic components are also sensitive to ESD, and the computer case provides a great place to ground/earth yourself.

But, let's back up for a second and cover why you replaced the PSU and motherboard and with what. Like for like or did you change from say a MSI board to the current ASRock?

Collapse -
Try these steps
by Warsam71 / October 30, 2013 9:41 AM PDT
In reply to: Sorry to say

I agree with Jimmy comment...that said, personally I follow the steps below when building a computer:

1. Prep the case, make sure aren't any cables, nut, screws, etc laying inside the case
2. Install the power supply unity (PSU). Note, some cases come with a PSU installed already
3. Install the CPU on the motherboard (be gentle, make sure not to bend any CPU pins). And the fan on the CPU.
4. Install the motherboard (now with CPU + Fan) in the case
5. Install the memory (RAM) - make sure to follow the instruction found in the motherboard manual.
6. Install hard drive(s) and/or SSD drives
7. Install the video card (GPU)
8. Connect the power cables from the PSU to the following: Motherboard, CPU fan, hard drive (where you'll install the OS), and video card. Note, don't power any other device/component yet...
10. Connect all the interface cables of the case to the motherboard (i.e. power button, reset button, etc)
11. Turn on your PC...
12. ...if you've done everything correctly you should "POST" (i.e.. see the bios boot information being executed and displayed on your monitor)
13. from here, Turn Off the system, connect the SSD or HDD, power the system back On, and begin start the OS installation process.

I've done the above numerous times and rarely run into issues, try them out, and let us know how it goes.

Hope it helps, good luck! Wink

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.