HolidayBuyer's Guide

Desktops forum

General discussion

Output to TV with media center pc

by agander / April 2, 2011 10:01 AM PDT

I've decided to take an old desktop and turn it into a media center pc. It is running XP, 768 RAM, 1.8 Gig processor, and I'm planning on running XBMC on it. I bought a new graphics card, Radeon 9250, because it previously only had a VGA output. I'm using the DVI port on it, with a DVI to HDMI coupler, to an HDMI to HDMI cord, into the TV.

I'm having a few issues here. First, the picture quality is not good. It flashes on and off, and when it is there, the colors are off and it is very grainy. I have the resolution at 1268X1080 (or whatever the 1080HD is, checked that already) refreshing at 60Hz (changed that many times as well, no luck). If I start the PC with both the VGA output hooked up to the monitor and the DVI hooked up to the TV, the only one that works is the TV, and not very well. If I pull the DVI and start up, it works fine on the old monitor.

I've also tried to mirror the desktop, and extended the desktop, neither works all that well as far as picture quality goes.

Does anyone have any other ideas?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Output to TV with media center pc
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Output to TV with media center pc
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Change video cards.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 2, 2011 11:10 AM PDT

The 9250 is very low on the totem pole.

Collapse -
i understand that
by agander / April 2, 2011 1:00 PM PDT
In reply to: Change video cards.

But it doesn't need to be that great. It has a dvi port, that's pretty much all I need. I just want the picture on the tv to he good, and it is plenty for that. I was hoping there would be some settings that I could look into changing.

Collapse -
Having used the 9250
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 2, 2011 1:51 PM PDT
In reply to: i understand that

I think I'd change that out first. If you want, try other drivers but this one was not good enough for our HTPC. I loaned it out a few times with same results.
Bob

Collapse -
suggestions
by agander / April 3, 2011 12:13 AM PDT
In reply to: Having used the 9250

Which one did you go with? I had a better one that had an HDMI out, but it was PCI based. Since this is an old machine, I don't have a PCI slot, only AGP, which is why I went with the 9250. Really I just need one with a DVI out, though HDMI would be easier.

I played around with it a little more last night. I was actually getting close to presentable, but some of the black pixels were coming in red. The flashing issues seemed to have taken care of itself somehow.

Collapse -
Sorry.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 3, 2011 1:13 AM PDT
In reply to: suggestions

I didn't know there was a PCI limitation here. I did last year use a PCI with the Nvidia 9500GT and 1GB RAM which was fanless. These are getting harder to find or more pricey.
Bob

Collapse -
working...somehow
by agander / April 3, 2011 3:31 AM PDT
In reply to: Sorry.

I was thinking this morning of taking it back in favor of another, and on a lark decided to try the S video port. It worked, though at S video resolution. Shut everything down, plugged the DVI port in again, and blammo, everything works perfect in full HD. I have no idea why or how, but I'll take it.

Collapse -
That's amazing.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 3, 2011 3:43 AM PDT
In reply to: working...somehow

Thanks and I'll have to try that if I ever run into this again.

Makes you wonder if you found a new trick!

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.